pontiac forums   pontiac forums
Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Past Pontiac Vehicle Discussion > Pontiac Sunfire Forum

Pontiac Sunfire Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Sunfire.

Pontiac Forum: Pontiac Sunfire Leaking Coolant?

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Gwen

Pontiac Sunfire Leaking Coolant?

My car is a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire.

I was driving, and the coolant light came on. The thing is, the coolant light came on a week ago, so we put more coolant in it. Then the light stayed on, and I read online somewhere about air bubbles. So I just beat it a little with a screw driver head, and the light went off. Well today, I was driving and the light popped on, then smoke came out from under the hood. I parked and coolant was leaking everywhere. Apparently, it came out of the overflow hose. The temperature gauge stayed at 195, though, which is where it is always at.

I drove it home, which wasn't far. I had a friend look at it, but he can't exactly figure out what is wrong. The thing is, when I have the air conditioner on, it doesn't overflow. The light is still on, and we put more coolant in it, but when we turn the air conditioner off, the coolant just bubbles on out, as if it's overheating (but the temp gauge in the car doesn't reflect this).

My friend looked around, and he said the main motor fan doesn't run when the air conditioner is off. But to be honest, I don't think it has ever run when the AC is off because when I turn my AC on, I can hear that fan click on.

My first question: Is the fan always supposed to be on, even without the AC?

Second: What could be wrong with my car?

I know that this was long winded, but I really haven't a clue what the problem could be, and I don't want to have to spend a ton of money just to diagnose the problem, let alone fixing things that may not be wrong with it.

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
mdmauto

lots of things could cause this ! first i would make sure the is nothing blocking the rad ! then if it is a 2.4 ltr check the water pump belt on the drivers side of the engine and if it is the 2.2 ltr check the belt on the passenger side of the engine! if they look ok then spend the money and have a pressure test done to check for leaks ! sounds like something is leaking if you keep adding coolant! and make sure you use gm dexcool coolant not green! the car will over heat with green coolant!
Tags: