pontiac forums   pontiac forums
Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Past Pontiac Vehicle Discussion > Pontiac Montana Forum

Pontiac Montana Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Montana.

Pontiac Forum: why is my pontiac montana's check abs and check traction system lights always on?...

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Coach

why is my pontiac montana's check abs and check traction system lights always on?...

...Two montana's same problem? This sucks

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
john t

the abs and the traction control lights come on because your sensors at the wheels are bad they need to be checked on a regular basis for dirt and such your first thing you should do is to have a diaq. done to find the bad sensor and have it replaced once that is done have them checked when you have your brakes inspected.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM

kelly_f_1999 is on a distinguished road
possible defect
type year model problems and can read about what others have said about that model of car
2008 pontiac montana problems

wil bring it up might be a recall or a model problem if you have two with same thing wrong
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Mark F

The TCS and ABS are part of the same system. One fault defeats both and turns on the warning lights. Given the type of vehicle I'd say the first thing to look for is worn front wheel bearings, for which these are notorious. The Wheel Speed Sensors are part of the hub and bearing assembly in the front so a loose bearing will cause a sensor failure.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
dakilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
The TCS and ABS are part of the same system. One fault defeats both and turns on the warning lights. Given the type of vehicle I'd say the first thing to look for is worn front wheel bearings, for which these are notorious. The Wheel Speed Sensors are part of the hub and bearing assembly in the front so a loose bearing will cause a sensor failure.
Mark F is right on the money, have a diagnostic done. You can pay the dealer / local shop or simply go to a local auto parts store that has a code reader that will work on your van and have them pull the diagnostic code out of your computer (it is typically free service from the store to get you to buy your parts there) and look up the code on the internet. From this code you will be able to tell which wheel the sensor code is coming from. Whether the sensor is bad or the bearing the fix is the same, the bearing assembly must be replaced. If you are limber enough and have the proper tools the fix can be done in a resonable amount of time by you.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM

bighank is on a distinguished road
Have same problem but sensors appear good suspect module

Checked all my sensors and they appear to be good. I suspect the electronic module under the drivers side dash.
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:44 AM

ianmcdca is on a distinguished road
These sensors are inside the bearing...they are not cleanable. Looking at them won`t determine which is bad....unfortunately you can`t go cheap on this. Have it scanned for ABS problems. I wouldn`t spend money on parts until I new which wheel bearing was responsible. On mine it was actually a rear wheel bearing.....very rare.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM

bighank is on a distinguished road
Theres another post that someone got the same symptoms with a BURNED OUT TAIL LIGHT

Can't believe that but with GM engineering who knows. I still suspect the module under drivers dash.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM

ianmcdca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank View Post
Can't believe that but with GM engineering who knows. I still suspect the module under drivers dash.
I dont understand why you are doubting us??? I know it`s not cheap to have it scanned, but it`s also not cheap to replace a BCM either....

I own 5 GM vehicles. I`ve never yet had an ABS and Trac light on that wasn`t one of the wheel bearings gone bad (Ive had a problem with the ABS unit itself causing both lights to light). It`s possible that the BCM is defective, but until someone scans it, how will you know? If the BCM is bad it will show on the scanner. YOU CANNOT VISUALLY CHECK THE SENSORS IN THESE HUBS! They are 'sealed' inside the bearing assembly. Dirt on the outside if the housing means little.

Once again, a pocket/hand held scanner WILL NOT scan for ABS or SRS problems.

I hope you find your solution.

Ian

Last edited by ianmcdca; February 26th, 2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added info
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM

planenut_2000 is on a distinguished road
I'm a ex GM dearship mechanic. Have it scanned! It is almost entirely a wheel bearing/sensor problem, or wire harness to the sensors.
Tags: