pontiac forums   pontiac forums
Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Past Pontiac Vehicle Discussion > Pontiac Sunbird Forum

Pontiac Sunbird Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Sunbird.

Pontiac Forum: 1991 pontiac sunbird fuel pump won't come on after replacing battery?

Old December 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
newb

x_OMGmoshpit is on a distinguished road
1991 pontiac sunbird fuel pump won't come on after replacing battery?

This car has had a history with the fuel pump not coming on at certain times. But we haven't been able to pin point the problem. For the past week though, my old battery finally called it quits, but we kept jumping it to be able to drive it for the day until we could get a new one. I was driving it and the battery finally died, and had to drive it home about two miles with no power steering, barely any lights, ect., which I imagine was terrible for it. So we get back, go get a new battery, put the battery in, and all of a sudden the fuel pump won't turn on. It had been working all week. I tried replacing the relay, assuming it was the right one (if anyone can confirm the location of the fuel pump relay that would be great) the fuel pump in it is fairly new, we replaced it once. the relays have been replaced also. We've tried just about every trick possible. Any ideas?
The battery actually DID die, the old battery was bought in 2001. It's 2010. Once the car is started you really only need the battery for the lights and stuff, which were barely on. The car turns over and everything, but I can't hear the fuel pump kick on. I really only know enough about cars to get me in trouble. I also don't know what the firewall is, haha.
The fuel pump was replaced in '09 when we were still experimenting with the problem.