Pontiac Forums

Pontiac Forums (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/index.php)
-   Pontiac G5 Forum (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Pontiac G5 Headlights wont go off..Help (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/showthread.php?t=22844)

AtWitsEnd October 31st, 2010 11:58 AM

Pontiac G5 Headlights wont go off..Help

I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 that I cannot get the headlights to go off. This has happened several times and has even ran my battery dead on occasion. I located the fuse panel under the hood and took out the DRL fuse but when i crank my car the headlights still automatically come on. Last night i was coming out of the grocery and when i cranked my car the headlights came on of course and when i got home I literally worked for 30 minutes trying to get them to go off and they would not. I ended up having to take the fuses out for my headlights but this morning when i attempted to put the fuses back in they came on of course and still i could not get them to go off.. Why is it doing this?:mad:

melsg5 October 31st, 2010 12:09 PM

could be the headlight relay is sticking

AtWitsEnd October 31st, 2010 12:36 PM

Ok..and that would be located where and how expensive a fix is that?.Im a lady..I know how to put gas in the car..lol

melsg5 October 31st, 2010 05:10 PM

you dont have the owners manual?

GM Customer Service November 1st, 2010 04:46 PM

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL):
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can make it easier for others to see the front of your vehicle during the day. DRL can be helpful in many different driving conditions, but they can be especially helpful in the short periods after dawn and before sunset. Your vehicle has a light sensor on top of the instrument panel. Make sure it is not covered or the headlamps will come on when you do not need them. The DRL system will make the headlamps come on at reduced intensity when the following conditions are met:

The ignition is on.
The exterior lamp control is turned to AUTO.
The light sensor detects daytime light.
The shift lever is not in PARK (P).

While the DRL system is on, the taillamps, sidemarker lamps, and instrument panel lights will not be illuminated. The DRL system will be off any time your vehicle is in PARK (P). The DRL system on U.S. vehicles can also be turned off by using the off/on switch for one ignition cycle. As with any vehicle, you should turn on the regular headlamp system when you need it.

AUTO (Automatic Headlamp System): Turn the switch to this position to automatically turn on the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) during daytime, and the headlamps, parking lamps, and taillamps at night. This position must be selected in order for the Wiper Activated Headlamps to be activated. When operating in AUTO, a momentary turn of the switch to off/on will turn off the Automatic Headlamp System. Rotating the switch to off/on again will turn the Automatic Headlamp System back on. The Automatic Headlamp System is always turned on at the beginning of an ignition cycle.

Hope this information helps.

Caron, Pontiac Customer Service

jw59 August 25th, 2011 04:19 PM

Caron, Pontiac Customer Service

the problem is that the headlights don't turn off after turning the car off

i have been told there is most likley the relay is bad BUT it is built into the whole fuse panel and that needs replaced and i am not willing to go to that cost at this time

my daughter has to pull the fuse everytime she needs the lights off and put them in when she needs lights

melsg5 August 25th, 2011 04:22 PM

I found the same information:
The problem has been isolated to the PDC (power distribution center) Fuse block under hood by the fender. Take an object and tap on the side of the relay block while noticing the headlamps if the headlamps go off the relay/fuse block will have to be replaced

Trumptone September 4th, 2012 07:17 AM

Any resolution to this problem? I also have a 2007 G5 and my lights won't turn off sometimes.

melsg5 September 4th, 2012 09:49 AM

This problem could be as simple as a stuck relay or a problem with the PDC. Start with checking the relay.

Trumptone September 4th, 2012 09:23 PM

How would I check the relay?