Pontiac Forums

Pontiac Forums (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/index.php)
-   Pontiac Catalina Forum (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   1964 Catalina Restoration (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/showthread.php?t=37577)

redvettemike February 20th, 2018 09:17 AM

1964 Catalina Restoration

3 Attachment(s)
Hello: I am a new guy from Madison, Ms. I do a bit of restoration work on some old cars and we have taken on the job of restoring a nice 1964 Pontiac Catalina 4 door hardtop. This car has been owned by the same family since new. it has been stored (inside thankfully) for the last number of decades and has not been cranked since the early 1990's. It is a 389 automatic with P/S and P/B. No Air. 86000 miles. Interior is excellent, all original. Painted once there seems to be little rust through (is outside of New Orleans). I may get the car on 2/16. In any case I will be posting some photos of the progress for this car and am glad to have found this site. Tks, Mike Martin

melsg5 February 20th, 2018 11:06 AM

thanks for sharing your new project and the pictures of your other cars. What year is the C2, 64, 65 and what color are you painting it?

redvettemike February 24th, 2018 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The car is a Catalina Ventura. It is totally unmolested @ 86000 miles. Not cranked in 3 decades. Bought new at Jefferson Motors in '63 at Marrero, La.

redvettemike February 24th, 2018 02:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more photos.

melsg5 February 24th, 2018 02:53 PM

looks like a project with good bones, good luck with it

redvettemike February 24th, 2018 05:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Floors good. Trunk needs just a bit of help. Surface rust on frame and suspension. We will blast and R Angle grind, rebuild suspension. Needs new exhaust. We plan to rebuild engine and trans.
Is there someone who can restore the steering wheel like this one?

redvettemike February 25th, 2018 09:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Chrome and trim looks like they will polish out good enough to use without rechroming. The car has been kept inside for most of it's life and that has saved it.

redvettemike February 26th, 2018 09:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Disassembly.

melsg5 February 26th, 2018 11:12 AM

Steering Wheel

Quote:

Originally Posted by redvettemike (Post 108147)
Floors good. Trunk needs just a bit of help. Surface rust on frame and suspension. We will blast and R Angle grind, rebuild suspension. Needs new exhaust. We plan to rebuild engine and trans.
Is there someone who can restore the steering wheel like this one?

I cant recommend anyone specifically for steering wheel restoration but just searching online I came across a few companies. In addition depending on how deteriorated the wheel is there are some DIY videos.

redvettemike February 26th, 2018 11:47 AM

Who sells the correct blue engine paint for a 1964 Pontiac? We bought some from Hirsch(spl?) for a '63 we worked on and it wrinkled on us. Pontiac engines '57 - '65 I think were all this color blue.
Mke