Pontiac Forums

Pontiac Forums (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/index.php)
-   Pontiac GTO Forum (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CAR wont start....all help accepted (https://pontiacforum.com/pontiac/showthread.php?t=37457)

AIRLORDD1 January 9th, 2018 05:34 PM

CAR wont start....all help accepted

1966 GTO, 389, 4BBL, 2spd AUTO... Car has had new wiring harnesses, new cap , rotor, points, condensor, plugs, wires, coil, Carb is a Edelbrock 1406 (rebuilt). new fuel pump. new fuel filter. Issue: car cranks, it brings fuel to the fuel bowls in carb and squirts into primaries. but it doesnt fire. there is power going to the points as i found out when using a metal feeler gauge to set points and left the ignition switch on. your help is needed. please list as many possibilities that I may have overlooked . all thoughts are greatly appreciated and will be checked. Even if its something that might be obvious i may have overlooked something very simple. Thanks in advance !!!! Things I still need to check... whether there is spark at the plugs and whether the primary butterflies are opening to let fuel in. any and all ideas welcome !!!!!!!!

melsg5 January 9th, 2018 05:39 PM

use a voltmeter and connect to + positive terminal of coil. You should have full battery voltage while cranking, do you?
if you have a dwell meter, do you see roughly 30 degrees while cranking?
make sure you have the plug wires correctly sequenced with regard to rotor position.
are you sure the condenser is good after that short with the feeler gauge?
was the distributor removed and it is now not correctly timed?

AIRLORDD1 January 9th, 2018 05:57 PM

another question, on the coil the wiring harness goes to the positive side and the distributor to the negative... correct. ? I'm writing this from memory. i will check the condensor with the old one that used to work before I changed everything out. what point gap do you show for this ? i was told .019 ? distributor was never removed from engine.

melsg5 January 9th, 2018 08:26 PM

correct the positive terminal on the coil should have a dual wire from the harness and the negative terminal of the coil goes to the distributor.
so you dont have a dwell meter? .019 is the gap.
can you check the voltage while cranking?

AIRLORDD1 January 10th, 2018 06:05 AM

Yes I have both, but i'm in Atlanta until this afternoon. will check this evening when i get home. will report findings .

AIRLORDD1 January 10th, 2018 06:07 AM

I'm wondering now if the center electrode on the cap is making contact with the center of the rotor .

melsg5 January 10th, 2018 11:14 AM

thats possible but everything is new, so unless something broke or the cap is not firmly secured to the distributor?

AIRLORDD1 January 12th, 2018 02:59 PM

Ok so i found the culprit, the lead from distributor to coil was broken. I have a new problem this is carb related, Its a 1406 edelbrock electric choke, the car starts and runs but after about 45 seconds - a minute it dies ( appears to run out of gas. Any ideas on this ?

melsg5 January 12th, 2018 05:17 PM

did the rebuilder test the carburetor?
if you hold the throttle open will it still die?