Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac G6 Sedan / G6 Coupe Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac G6 Sedan / G6 Coupe Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac G6 Sedan and G6 Coupe.

Pontiac Forum: FE2 shocks/struts

Old January 21st, 2018, 11:35 AM

RickG6 is on a distinguished road
FE2 shocks/struts

2007 G6 GT 3.9L 6 spd std trans FE2 suspension. This is an FYI for those interested.

Replaced worn out front struts with Monroe OESpectrum as they were both worn out. I also replaced the rear with OESpectrums as well to take advantage of a Monroe promotional program. The rear shocks actually seemed to be just fine.

Here's the thing: I found that now my car actually rides "too nice"....the Monroes seem to have much less damping and I no longer get the firm ride I desire. I especially notice it in the rear of the car now.

From what I can tell, there is no differentiation between the various available FE options as far as aftermarket shock/strut replacements. They all seem to only list one part # regardless of suspension spec.

At any rate, I'm not really pleased with the Monroe's and not sure what I can do about it now. I do still have the "old" rear shocks and might just put them back on.

A little more info. Talked to our local GM parts dude. There are different GM part #'s for shocks/struts depending on what suspension spec your car has. The correct rear shock for the FE2 spec is gm part #15910695 and retails here in Canada for 159.00 ea. The shocks are not even stocked in Canada and would have to come in from Lansing, MI. He advises that there is no direct cross ref to a Delco part number, but when looked up the possible equivalent is the Delco 530-454 Premium gas shock but was not able to guarantee that it would provide the same level of damping as the proper original. It is interesting to note that the Delco shock is only around $30 USD each so its unlikely it is the same quality of shock.

I have found a number of online GM parts dealers and the shocks are available for approx. 77USD each. I will be ordering them and swapping out the rear shocks.

Cheers,

Rick in Canada

Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
i ran into the same thing with a G5 GT. I found the correct GM rear shocks for the FE3 suspension, got the Monroe struts and removed the Monroe springs and swapped in the original FE3 front springs. All the Monroe systems are basically FE1 calibrated.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:48 PM

Good fix there melsg5. I did not purchase the fully assembled strut, just the strut itself so I could maintain my springs. The only problem that one would encounter is that by using the Monroe strut and/or shock with the stock FE2/FE3 spring is that the damping will be nowhere near what is required for the heavier springs. The stiffer a the spring, the more damping required, especially rebound damping. At any rate (no pun intended...) I will get this all sorted out.

Here is a direct quote from Monroe regarding the OESpectrum:

"Featuring our latest global Original Equipment valving technologies, Monroe® OESpectrum® ride control products are designed with the right technology specific for each application to provide added control while reducing harshness experienced with rough, bumpy road conditions."

I would say this in not really the case.

cheers

Last edited by RickG6; January 22nd, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:22 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

i looked up the parts numbers of the gm bare strut for FE suspensions and unless you go to the FE5 level the bare strut was the same part number. Look at post #11 with the part numbers that show the FE3 strut is the same. Again this is G5 not your G6 which maybe different as far as what they did with strut damping.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/susp...m4-jl9-137064/
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:32 PM

I guess GM and probably most makers of "less expensive" cars don't bother much with actual suspension tuning. Coming from the motorcycle world and working on bike suspension for many years, any change in spring rate requires a change in the damping specs.

For the G6 GT with FE2, my local GM dealer did indicate that there are different part numbers for the rear shocks (I did not ask about struts). Whilst searching the interweb for struts and or shocks, all the major manufacturers only list one or two models of strut/shock options. And the options are basically limited to quality of unit rather than "sub-model" specific. I guess I can see their point as most drivers would care less (and that's fine...). I just wanted to maintain the firmer "sporty" ride of my GT, but the OESpectrum converted my car into a very nice riding but mushy handling car. Most people would actually prefer that I suppose.
As stated, I still have the "old" rear shocks (which still functioned fine) and will be reinstalling them until such a time as I order the rather expensive (but correct) GM shock.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

unless your lucky enough that manufacturers such as Koni, Bilstein, etc. are willing to produce shocks for your vehicle you either have to go OEM if they are still available, or live with the one shock fits all from Monroe and others.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:38 PM

You are correct. Koni and Bilstein don't even list a shock for a G6. After much research, my determination is that an AC Delco 540-196 would be the correct equivalent as it is a monotube shock (most are twin tube), and is the much higher price in comparison to other Delco product specific choices is very close to the proper GM part numbered shock. There are very few parts sites that actually bring up the 540-196 when entering your car details. It is listed for ragtops, GT's and GTP's on very few aftermarket sites.

Cheers

rick

Last edited by RickG6; January 22nd, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:38 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I found AC Delco numbers for the front FE2 suspension
right 506-790
left 506-789

the number you have 15910695, do sites like gmpartsdirect.com ship to Canada?
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:46 PM

They do ship to Canada but wow you get raped for shipping. Fortunately I live just above the ND border and have a shipping depot in Walhalla. There is no duty on auto parts, and generally if the purchase is less than $150ish our Customs doesn't bother with taxes (not always though....).

Cheers

Rick