Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Solstice Forum

Advertisements

Pontiac Solstice Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Solstice.

Pontiac Forum: need advice on rear differential seal issue

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:39 AM
newb

yamabogger is on a distinguished road
Exclamation need advice on rear differential seal issue

My names Trevor I'm new to the forum. Ok here's the story. Friday evening I bought a 2006 solstice with 72xxxx miles on it. Seems to run pretty good and everything but just tonight I was making a U turn and felt/heard a grinding kinda noise so I went into an open parking lot and started driving around in circles about 5 miles an hour to try and see where it could be coming from. couldn't figure it out exactly so I started researching on the web about knows issues like that and found that others have had this exact same issue but couldn't get much info besides the fact that the diff leaks and the rear end has locked up on a few people causing them to lose control of the car. I want to go back to the dealer and just say F*** it I want to give the car back. Or am I making a big deal out of this? I do not want an unsafe car and love it otherwise but have a feeling they aren't gonna want to fix it unless its coming out of my pocket and in that case I will not take that car home. carfax report says the seal was replaced in 07 and that was it. If I get it fixed will the fix last long enough to get some good reliable years out of it or should I not take the chance. Because its a used car sold as is I'm really not sure what I can do and this is my first pontiac and do not know much about them. Love the car but I don't want to be killed or total the car because of this issue. Any advice on the fix and if it will take the noise away and how long it will last or if I should have any problem getting it fixed at no cost to me or if I should just try and get out of the deal. I'm really not sure what to do here. Again any advice will be greatly appreciated and sorry for the novel lol.

-Trevor

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
GM has a differential additive for the clutch packs, it should have been added when the seal was replace in 07, they had a technical service bulletin on the topic. Is this a GM dealer, if so have them add the additive.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM
newb

It was at a nissan dealer. Will it be fine after that?
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Dont know but that is where you have to start. This is what you need any GM dealer should stock it.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-176-gm-...Fcme4AodbA4AKQ
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Pontiac Representative
PONTIAC REPRESENTATIVE

GM Customer Service is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabogger View Post
My names Trevor I'm new to the forum. Ok here's the story. Friday evening I bought a 2006 solstice with 72xxxx miles on it. Seems to run pretty good and everything but just tonight I was making a U turn and felt/heard a grinding kinda noise so I went into an open parking lot and started driving around in circles about 5 miles an hour to try and see where it could be coming from. couldn't figure it out exactly so I started researching on the web about knows issues like that and found that others have had this exact same issue but couldn't get much info besides the fact that the diff leaks and the rear end has locked up on a few people causing them to lose control of the car. I want to go back to the dealer and just say F*** it I want to give the car back. Or am I making a big deal out of this? I do not want an unsafe car and love it otherwise but have a feeling they aren't gonna want to fix it unless its coming out of my pocket and in that case I will not take that car home. carfax report says the seal was replaced in 07 and that was it. If I get it fixed will the fix last long enough to get some good reliable years out of it or should I not take the chance. Because its a used car sold as is I'm really not sure what I can do and this is my first pontiac and do not know much about them. Love the car but I don't want to be killed or total the car because of this issue. Any advice on the fix and if it will take the noise away and how long it will last or if I should have any problem getting it fixed at no cost to me or if I should just try and get out of the deal. I'm really not sure what to do here. Again any advice will be greatly appreciated and sorry for the novel lol.

-Trevor

Trevor,
I would recommend that you have a GM dealer look into this for you. They are in the best position to get this issue diagnosed and fixed for you. Please keep me posted on your progress and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy GM Customer Service
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:54 PM
newb

Thank you for the advice. I had them look at it and no fluid leaked out and no metal in the fluid. They called it good. The noise is annoying and every car ive ever had if there is any sound that shouldn't be there I fix it. Is there anything I could do on my own to take care of this? Any aftermarket changes I could make?
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I told you to add the GM additive and provided a link with a picture, did you add it?