Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac G6 Sedan / G6 Coupe Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac G6 Sedan / G6 Coupe Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac G6 Sedan and G6 Coupe.

Pontiac Forum: G6 convertible no start issue

Old June 8th, 2018, 04:10 PM

newtomeg6 is on a distinguished road
G6 convertible no start issue

I have a 2007 g6 convertible. About a month ago I was driving and the car shut off. Radio was still on and I didn't notice it was off until I went to move and it didn't go. It wouldn't start initially but after a few tries I was able to peddle it home the 1/4 mile. Now when I go to start the car there is an arch between the terminal and the battery that is sparking. It clicks once and sparks and nothing else. Where should I start looking? I have no idea where to begin. There is also melted metal at the terminal so I'm thinking there is a short somewhere. The terminal still has contact.

Old June 8th, 2018, 05:07 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
a picture of the terminal you are referring to would help. Did you check for loose battery connections?
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
a picture of the terminal you are referring to would help. Did you check for loose battery connections?
I will take pictures tonight. The connectors to the battery is what I'm referring to. One of them appears to have melted a little as it looks like there is melted lead (its probably not lead but this is the best deacription I can give) drops underneath. I think, iirc, this is the same connector that appears to be arching a spark wjen the key is turned. I work a weird shift so I won't be able to get pictures until tomorrow but I finally have time to fix it so I'll post some tomorrow and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you for your help.

Also sorry if I wasn't clear. It looks like I mistakenly used terminal loosely to describe the actual battery connectors and the terminals on the battery. I'll try to be more clear. Sorry about that

Last edited by newtomeg6; June 8th, 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

again check if the battery connections are tight using the correct size wrench. There should not be any bare metal near the positive/red terminal of the battery other than the actual cable connection.
Old June 10th, 2018, 05:55 PM

I will try my best to explain the pictures

https://imgur.com/a/UYoSJCx

the first picture is the engine bay

second one is the top of the battery, the red connector is the one in question and the one that appears to be damaged? honestly im not sure what its supposed to look like but it doesnt look right. my only car experience is on a jeep cherokee but with some help im willing to try and help my dad fix this one

in the 3rd picture i tried to pull back the red cover to see what was going on and it just appears to be wires that come up to the terminal/connector of the battery

the final picture shows the beaded "lead" that was found under the battery

when we turn the key the red one sparks and all we hear is one click.

we assumed there was a short somewhere because for metal to melt you need a lot of amperage...is my understanding anyways...

if you have any ideas please let me know.

thank you

edit: sorry i didnt think the pictures uploaded to the website using the uploader so the ones you see below are out of order and not correctly orientated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_170126.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	3643   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_170133.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	3644   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_170139.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	3645   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_170150.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3646  

Last edited by newtomeg6; June 10th, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:38 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

unscrew the bolt on the black connection from the battery first and place it away from the battery. Then unscrew the bolt on the red connection and examine it closely to see if the wires are no longer firmly attached to the connector. You may have had a loose bolt that overheated and melted the wire connection.