pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac Montana Forum

Notices

Pontiac Montana Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Montana.

Pontiac Forum: "Charging System Failure" ??

Old April 16th, 2017, 05:35 PM
newb

Macarchie is on a distinguished road
"Charging System Failure" ??

2005 Montana SV6; 155,000 miles; I finally replaced the factory alternator. The headlights have flickered since new, but it always kept the battery charged and there were no indicator lights illuminated. I put in the alternator and now everything seems fine (except the "Charging System Failure" message comes up and the battery light is on). With it running, I am getting 13.6 volts, it drives fine and is keeping the battery charged. I compared the old alternator to the remanufactured one before turning it in and they were identical. As you probably know, it is a real PAIN to swap out the alternators - what a pathetic design!
Should I worry about this problem or should I just drive the van until it wears out? ideas?
thanks, Jimmy

Old April 17th, 2017, 10:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
are you using a hand held meter to determine the voltage at the battery with the engine running?
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:12 PM
newb

Macarchie is on a distinguished road
The driver information center displayed 13.4 volts; so I hooked up my digital volt meter and it read 13.66 volts. This was measured at the battery with the engine running.
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:18 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
Unless you have access to a Tech II or similar diagnostic tool finding the cause of the message and light will be difficult. You are sure the battery cable connections on both ends of the cables are clean and tight? Can you check the fuse box connections including any grounds.

Tags
2005 sv6 alternator