Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac Montana Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

suspension parts, shocks, struts and more

Notices

Pontiac Montana Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Montana.

Pontiac Forum: Are your wipers not parking?

Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
GM/ASE service/body Tech

Goatman is on a distinguished road
Are your wipers not parking?

If you are having problems with the wipers not returning to the park position the wiper transmission is probably at fault, this is a common issue with alot of pontiac and GM vehicles , the tab on the wiper transmission will bend easily when the wipers are jambed (like when they freeze from snow and ice) if you turn the motor on and the wipers are NOT free it can bend the tab that holds the wipers in the park position..
this can in turn make the wipers stop in an upward position even after they return to the bottom (normal stop) position it can be repaired by replacing the wiper transmission assembly (it holds the motor and wiper arms) that drive the wipers and is under the cowl section on most vehicles ..
it is best left to a trained tech as it is quite hard to get to ...

Old August 20th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Hennry

Are your wipers not parking?

The wiper arm can also strip out where it connects to the pivot. If this is the case, a new wiper arm will need to be installed after buying one from the dealer or a salvage yard.
-------------------
Hennry
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM

ianmcdca is on a distinguished road
Here`s another link outlining one of a few repair procedures:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2857346-w..._position_when
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM

SKroads is on a distinguished road
Hmm.... I wonder if that is the problem with my wipers. It stops responding to turn them on unless I have them at maximum wiping speed and sometimes they stop in an upward position. This just started a few days ago on my 2001 Montana.
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Pontiachead is on a distinguished road
Mine were doing that on my 1999 montana...I hit the rotating mechanisms under the wipers-above the engine with pb blaster and cleaned them real good...hasn't happened since..
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:05 PM
newb

Vanman is on a distinguished road
Had this exact problem with my wife's Grand Prix. The first post is dead on but rather then replacing I simply removed the wipers, arms and all, then removed the plastic cover underneath them to get to the wiper motor. If you run the wiper motor with all that off you will notice that tab he is talking about as the motor rubs it and the wipers go back up and stop. I also noticed some uneven wear on my tab. I simply took a hammer and flat head screwdriver and hit the tab forward, bent the tab in slightly and have not had a problem with it since. took about 30 minutes to fix it. Hope this helps someone out.
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM

sunfire2door is on a distinguished road
here's my friends fix for the rear wiper randomly stopping on the 05-09 montana's http://www.pontiacforum.com/pontiac/...ad.php?t=29546, hope this helps you guys out!
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM

klee is on a distinguished road
wipers not parking

I just finished fixing that problem, took me awhile but managed. Get the transmission linkage from the bone yard $10, install it, put wipers on intermitting when they pause turn off key, disconnect wiper linkage from tranny move it so the little tab on the bottom is roughly an 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from tab tighten down,attach wiper likage and bang your fineeto.

P.S. it is easier if you have someone operating the wiper control so you can watch the transmission to make sure the little arm on the bottom of the trany hits the tab so it can park, if not remove lubricate make sure it moves freely and reinstall following the direction again.
Old December 29th, 2017, 11:59 AM

wildbill7145 is on a distinguished road
I'm realizing that this is possibly the worst idea ever introduced to vehicles sold in Canada. Snow gets jammed in there where the wipers are supposed to park. Thus they can't. You have to lift the hood to get in there to dig the snow/ice out.

On top of this, many drivers in Canada lift the wiper arms when the vehicle isn't in use. Keeps the blades from freezing to the windshield and from getting gunked up with snow and ice. Can't do it if they're parked as they're blocked by the hood.

Terrible idea.
Old January 14th, 2018, 09:23 PM

JShakey is on a distinguished road
There is also a tab underneath the wiper arm on the passenger side that may just need tapped /bent back up . There is a video on you tube.