Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac Torrent Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network cars connected social networking app for ios cars connected social networking app for android

suspension parts, shocks, struts and more

Notices

Pontiac Torrent Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Torrent.

Pontiac Forum: 2006 Pontiac Torrent Vibration 50-70MPH??

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:33 PM
newb

Oldfarmall is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 2006 Pontiac Torrent Vibration 50-70MPH??

Hello-

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent AWD. Ever since we bought the car, it has had a vibration/humming that starts at 50mph and goes away above 70mph. We have installed new tires all around, balanced, and checked for road force on machine. All check out good. They even replaced tire that had a slightly high reading for the road force on the balancing machine. Still have the vibration/hum.

I read online that a lot of Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrents have a vibration issue that may be from the rear driveshaft center support bearing on AWD models. So, this week I replaced the center support bearing assembly and both U-joints on the rear driveshaft. Still have my vibration from 50-70MPH!!

It seems like the vibration is in the front of the car, as I can feel it in the steering wheel. Dealership does not have a clue what else it could be. They say we could start replacing parts until we find the bad one. We don't have that kind of money at parts plus $100/hour labor rate!

Anyone have this similar issue? My wife and I are pulling our hair out over this. We love the car, but the vibration is annoying, and makes me uneasy about taking this car on a trip longer that local commutes. Thank you for any help in advance!

-Jesse

Old April 29th, 2015, 10:15 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
when you are doing 50 to 70 mph and you feel the vibration, does the vibration go away if you momentarily shift into neutral? If the vibration does go away the cause is engine RPM related.
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:46 PM
newb

Oldfarmall is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply melsg5. I had my wife take the car into the dealership where she works today. They had another Torrent on the lot, so they took the wheels and tires from that Torrent and installed on ours. Well, the vibration is still there. So it is not my tires or wheels, one more thing to rule out. The service manager and tech are almost positive that the rear drive shaft needs to be sent in and rebalanced for $150. I have never heard of a drive shaft becoming out of balance before? I do know that the drive shaft is very rusty on the outside, so I suppose it could have thrown a balancing weight.

I will have to try the shifting into neutral trick tonight when I get the car back. We are not sure yet if we are going to send in the drive shaft. Thanks!

-Jesse
Old June 9th, 2015, 11:07 PM
newb

gstrate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfarmall View Post
Hello-

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent AWD. Ever since we bought the car, it has had a vibration/humming that starts at 50mph and goes away above 70mph. We have installed new tires all around, balanced, and checked for road force on machine. All check out good. They even replaced tire that had a slightly high reading for the road force on the balancing machine. Still have the vibration/hum.

I read online that a lot of Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrents have a vibration issue that may be from the rear driveshaft center support bearing on AWD models. So, this week I replaced the center support bearing assembly and both U-joints on the rear driveshaft. Still have my vibration from 50-70MPH!!

It seems like the vibration is in the front of the car, as I can feel it in the steering wheel. Dealership does not have a clue what else it could be. They say we could start replacing parts until we find the bad one. We don't have that kind of money at parts plus $100/hour labor rate!

Anyone have this similar issue? My wife and I are pulling our hair out over this. We love the car, but the vibration is annoying, and makes me uneasy about taking this car on a trip longer that local commutes. Thank you for any help in advance!

-Jesse
Hello, I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, AWD with 64k mileage. I recently started to feel a vibration in the front end of my car at approx. the same speeds you mention in your article. The vibration at first felt like a low frequency vib in the steering wheel but then I started to notice a low frequency whining noise in addition to the vibration. At low speeds the whining noise was negligible but in the 50 to 70 mph range the noise became a distraction. I bought new tires, had them rotated and balanced with no effect. I replaced the front disk brakes to no avail. I then opted to check out the frontend wheel bearing hubs and at first glance they looked typical for a car with 64k mileage on it. Upon closer inspection it was obvious the entire wheel bearing assembly and mount assembly was completely destroyed by corrosion. The bearing hub on the right wheel took 5 1/2 hours to pound off and it took another 2 1/2 hrs to remove the left bearing hub. Cost for AC Delco OEM parts; $440.00 dollars. Labor; $600.00 dollars. Approx. 50 miles have been put on the car since the change out of the wheel bearing hubs and I can feel no low frequency vibration in the steering wheel and there is zero whining noise in the 50mph-70mph range.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:10 PM
newb

marlinj is on a distinguished road
2006 Pontiac Torrent vibration 50-70MPH

Old Farmall, did you ever resolve your issue??