Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!


pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac LeMans Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

suspension parts, shocks, struts and more






Notices

Pontiac LeMans Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac LeMans.

Pontiac Forum: Lower than normal oil pressure
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old June 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Jb72 Jb72 is offline
newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4
Jb72 is on a distinguished road
Lower than normal oil pressure

Have a 72 Pontiac with a 400. Question is last year at start up ran around 40 lbs and while driving 50-60. this year I notice start up is 20-30 which I believe is fine however after engine is warm its runs the bare minimum 4000 rpm with be just below or at 40 when it used to be 50-60 /2000 will be just below or at 2. Have mechanical oil gauge /run green oil 10w30/motor is 4 years old off rebuild first three years ran all the same. Is this a major cause for concern? Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old June 9th, 2018, 08:44 PM
melsg5's Avatar
melsg5 melsg5 is offline
Senior Member
ADMINISTRATOR
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,685
melsg5 is on a distinguished road
confirm the accuracy of the gauge with a temporary hook up of a hand held gauge.
have you switched to a different oil filter?
__________________
1971 GTO 455 HO Ram Air
1969 Corvette Coupe with 1970 LT-1 Short Block
2017 Mustang GT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Jb72 Jb72 is offline
newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4
Jb72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
confirm the accuracy of the gauge with a temporary hook up of a hand held gauge.
have you switched to a different oil filter?
Filter should be the same I don't believe I switched it (will have to try different gauge) upon start up gauge reads good after about 10 min that's when the pressure drops and runs the min. Thanks I'll try the gauge
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:46 AM
melsg5's Avatar
melsg5 melsg5 is offline
Senior Member
ADMINISTRATOR
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,685
melsg5 is on a distinguished road
you could also try a bottle of STP to see if it helps with the pressure
you did put 6 quarts of oil in the engine?
__________________
1971 GTO 455 HO Ram Air
1969 Corvette Coupe with 1970 LT-1 Short Block
2017 Mustang GT
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 11th, 2018, 06:03 PM
cammerjeff's Avatar
cammerjeff cammerjeff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Belleville MI
Posts: 329
cammerjeff is on a distinguished road
40psi is plenty of oil pressure, but I would be concerned with the drop. As previously stated I would recheck it with another mechanical gauge to make sure the reading is good, then if the reading is confirmed I would check for leaks, and pull and cut apart the oil filter looking for brass shavings.
In my past experience a 10-20psi drop in oil pressure is the 1st sign of either a main or rod bearing starting to go. The increase in bearing clearance lets more oil escape decreasing the psi.
But don't assume its a bearing, it could also be something like an oil jornal plug coming loose causing an internal oil leak in the system, under the timing chain cover. This condition leaks the oil around the oil galley back into the oil pan. That is why I have the machine shop tap the oil galley ends, and install a pipe plug in them.
__________________
2009 G8 GT
2006 Mallet LS2 Solstice
1978 Catalina Safari Buick 350 TH350
1978 Sunbird Safari Buick 3.8 2004R
1977 Astre Formula 215 Buick V8 T-5
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed (factory)
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455 TH400
1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6 T-5
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Jb72 Jb72 is offline
newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4
Jb72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
you could also try a bottle of STP to see if it helps with the pressure
you did put 6 quarts of oil in the engine?
Yes oil is full I have changed plenty of times it's a little over 6. What's stp?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:00 AM
Jb72 Jb72 is offline
newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4
Jb72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammerjeff View Post
40psi is plenty of oil pressure, but I would be concerned with the drop. As previously stated I would recheck it with another mechanical gauge to make sure the reading is good, then if the reading is confirmed I would check for leaks, and pull and cut apart the oil filter looking for brass shavings.
In my past experience a 10-20psi drop in oil pressure is the 1st sign of either a main or rod bearing starting to go. The increase in bearing clearance lets more oil escape decreasing the psi.
But don't assume its a bearing, it could also be something like an oil jornal plug coming loose causing an internal oil leak in the system, under the timing chain cover. This condition leaks the oil around the oil galley back into the oil pan. That is why I have the machine shop tap the oil galley ends, and install a pipe plug in them.
Thanks for the info I will look into a different gauge when I get a chance
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 14th, 2018, 10:03 AM
melsg5's Avatar
melsg5 melsg5 is offline
Senior Member
ADMINISTRATOR
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,685
melsg5 is on a distinguished road
STP oil treatment, blue bottle, any auto parts store.
__________________
1971 GTO 455 HO Ram Air
1969 Corvette Coupe with 1970 LT-1 Short Block
2017 Mustang GT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
pontiacforum.com recognizes that "Pontiac", it's logos and various model names and numbers are registered trademarks of the General Motors Corporation. These terms are used for identification purposes only. pontiacforum.com is not affiliated in any way with the General Motors Corporation, Pontiac or any other company listed herein. All information on this site is the opinion of its members and not the opinion of the site itself. ©2017 pontiacforum.com. All rights reserved.


MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Pontiac? Check out your options at the links below:

Miss the Pontiac G8 GT? Believe it or not, Kia may have something for you. The Kia Stinger is a large sport-oriented hatchback sedan in the mold of the Audi A7.