Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge - News, Classifieds, Etcetera...

Advertisements

The Lounge - News, Classifieds, Etcetera... This section is for introductions, Pontiac news, classifieds and anything that doesn't fit into a specific category below...

Pontiac Forum: New to Forum '64 GTO owner elarson

Old November 5th, 2018, 04:08 PM
newb

elarson is on a distinguished road
New to Forum '64 GTO owner elarson

Good Afternoon from Nebraska. I have a '64 GTO sedan that I have owned for nearly 40 years. I am on a mission to upgrade the .030 over 455/tri-power. The heads are off a 400 C.I. with smaller intake and exhaust valves. Too much compression 10.75. Tri-power is O.K. but won't allow decent HEI. 4:10 12 bolt posi. I'm thinking 3.73 gears and EFI on new intake. .480 lift comp Energizer cam. Turbo 400 with 3000 RPM stall. I want to find a good set of heads. 8.5 compression (455) seems silly to spend a fortune on aluminum heads. Car is down on power because it isn't getting the fuel pressure it needs. I don't want to conquer the world racing, but I don't want to baby this thing around to avoid death rattle detonation. Car would be driven to car shows on back roads @ 60 m.p.h., do a few burnouts, run down the track occasionally. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180303_192954.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	3802  

Old November 5th, 2018, 07:27 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
they make pointless distributors that are no larger in diameter than what you currently have or drop in a conversion kit and a high output ignition coil and an MSD box and keep the tri-power.
How did you come to the conclusion that the car isnt getting the fuel pressure it needs? What pressure reading are you getting?
What is the initial timing you are running?
is the distributor recurved to provide a maximum of 36 degrees mechanical advance at 3,000 RPM?
Are you using vacuum advance?
Is it ported or manifold vacuum?
How many degrees is the vacuum unit providing?
Old November 5th, 2018, 10:10 PM
newb

elarson is on a distinguished road
The distributor does have an electronic conversion kit in it, with a run of the mill aftermarket coil. There is a vacumme advance with a total advance curve of 36 degrees. I took the car to a mechanic and He measured how many ounces of gas the fuel pump put out in a minute. I don't know if it was at idle or what, but I seem to remember that He said it was 7 oz. of gas in 30 seconds. Not enough. I need to have a return line to the fuel tank IMO. I'm not sure any of these numbers are correct.
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
a return line is typically there to prevent fuel perculation it doesnt increase the amount of gas going to the carburetors. I'm puzzled why the mechanic didnt measure the fuel pressure. That number of 7 oz in 30 seconds sounds low and may be do to a bad fuel pump. If you dont do your own work check with a local Pontiac or any kind of car club to see who they recommend to work on older cars.
Do you know the engine code?
Do you know the cylinder head codes?