Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac SV6 Forum

Advertisements

Pontiac SV6 Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac SV6.

Pontiac Forum: 2007 SV6 shutting down while running

Old August 9th, 2015, 05:21 PM
newb

zabrinadoyle@yahoo.ca is on a distinguished road
2007 SV6 shutting down while running

Hello everyone. I'm having some problems with my SV6 now that I'd love some opinions on!! Started 2 months or more ago, one day the van won't start, its like the battery is dead/dying - when this happens my lights flash, horn honks, locks lock and unlock. take her in and get the terminals cleaned up/tightened, mechanic says the battery is fine. I'll get a boost and things will be fine for days than one day it'll happen again. no radio/lights etc left on, no cause for dead battery. happened 3 times one day so I borrow an eliminator from my boss and keep it in the van in case I need it. go a whole month! without it happening, than it happens twice in one day again... and not since... I drive a lot every day, multiple times starting her up and going. this was problem enough, I was thinking I'd replace the battery, terminals alternator etc etc, haven't had the chance to do it yet, but today I was driving her, saw a light flash on the dash but idk what one it was because I didn't actually see it, than a second later while I was pulling into my dads driveway the van shut down for a split second, radio shut off, lights flashed, locks unlock and lock, it was the same as when my battery would die, except it happened while I was driving. from there I had to take her 3 kms to get back home and it happened 3 times while going straight down the road. for that second the van goes crazy while still in motion, I can feel her slowing down of course, but than it kicks back in and keeps going! what the hell is going on? I'm afraid to take her anywhere else.
thanks

Old August 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
did you have it scanned for any codes?
it could be an ignition switch starting to fail
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:04 AM
newb

zabrinadoyle@yahoo.ca is on a distinguished road
at the moment the the check engine light isn't on, I thought it had to be on to check a code? when I was reading through last night it says the engine light could be emission related or ignition related so I wondered that too, would she behave like that if something was loose ignition wise? like a messed up wire or something ? could that be why sometimes when I go to start it almost shorts out and boom the battery is dead?
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
so it will start if you get a jump?
if so, did the mechanic load test the battery?