Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Grand Am Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac Grand Am Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Grand Am.

Pontiac Forum: Cold air intake for the 2.4l Grand Am SE

Old November 6th, 2018, 01:42 AM

FrontyardCars is on a distinguished road
Cold air intake for the 2.4l Grand Am SE

Yo, what's up guys. I have a 2001 Grand Am SE, with the 2.4l engine, and I've been looking at it recently, trying to decide what I want to do to it. Lately, I've come to the conclusion that I want to redo the air system, as it has that restrictive air box everybody knows and absolutely loves throwing out.

I checked a few places to see if there was any decently priced cold air systems that would fit this specific model, without requiring too much of my time to install. The best option I found so far, was on carid.com, and it was great in every way, including that it even had the sensor adapter already with it. The issue, however; is.. I don't want to spend $320 on something I could possibly make for cheaper. Does anyone have a solution to this inconvenience by any chance? I would greatly appreciate it!

Old November 6th, 2018, 12:16 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
look at the "DIY cold air intake" on YouTube
Old November 6th, 2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
look at the "DIY cold air intake" on YouTube
My only issue with that, as far as I noted. Is it appeared as if they weren't increasing the diameter of the intake at all, and it looked like with the way they ran it, it was between the inside of the wheel-well and the frame of the vehicle. So, I have multiple concerns about that, and they weren't addressed.

1. Wouldn't running an air intake system like they did cause the filter to get dirtier a lot quicker than normal? And possibly even tear from road debris?

2. Rain. The biggest issue. If there's a puddle, and I drive in it; my intake will then be drenched, would it not? Though water on top of something that's supposed to introduce cold air to the engine could be good, as long as it's only a slight mist, but, in large quantities, wouldn't that be able to flood my engine?

3. Not a big concern, but still slightly there. If there's no increase in diameter of the intake "tubing", it would more-so be about where the air is coming in from, at what angle, and what it's coming in through, I would imagine?

P.S. I am still learning, I'm going to college to become an automotive service technician, and always have a lot of questions when it comes to something new to me. So, thanks for your patience!
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

since there are multiple videos, I'm not sure which one you looked at. Running a filter in the wheelwell is definitely not a good idea. The filter has to be as high as possible to avoid ingestion of water which can cause hydrolock and destroy the engine, unlike air, water cannt be compressed so something internal will break. Increasing the diameter beyond the diameter of the throttle body is pointless. Good luck with your career. Highky recommend in addition to what you learn in the class room look at magazines, no internet when I was learning, such as Hot Rod which have technical articles. You can find them quite often in public libraries.
Old November 7th, 2018, 01:33 PM

92 Sunbird LE is on a distinguished road
You can use any diameter of PVC pipe from the hardware store and silicone boots and cone filters from Auto parts stores to make your own air intake. Just keep it high as Mel said and make brackets to hold it still.

Done it a few times myself on newer cars and trucks, it's easy peasy.

Just keep your old stuff to return it back to stock if nessesary.

Doug in P.R.
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:42 PM

I was talking to one of my friends at college, and he suggested the possibility of either basically running it like a snorkel, or doing something along the lines of forced air injection, from under the hood. What do you think would be the better bet of the two?
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:02 PM

Thanks for both of your responses! I talked to a friend of mine at the college, to find out what would be a better way of running the air system than what I was finding online. He mentioned that I could basically either do a snorkel, or an under the hood forced air injection.

Both of which aren't bad options, but if you both would be willing to help me figure out the most practical option, that would be great! My thinking with the snorkel, is it isn't a RWD or a AWD rally car, or even a truck, so it's not likely to ever see so deep of water where it would need a snorkel. However. That is a lot of cold air, possibly even too much for a stock engine. So, in that case it might make my car run with too little fuel compared to air? Though I may be able to say the same for forced air injection on my little four cylinder.

So, what do you both suggest I do? I can make anything work as long as I do my research on it first, and figure out the layout of everything. I'm just needing a game-plan!

The long term goal, is basically a comfortable, clean looking FWD car, that has a nice ride, and acts like a sleeper.
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:42 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

To start with you will get very little measureable improvement with any CAI set up, the increased sound caused by the less restrictive intake will be the most noticeable "improvement". You dont want anything like a snorkel, you dont want all kinds of road debris and water entering/clogging your filter. Pontiac factory set ups were always on the hood evern going back to the mid sixties. Forced air injection is a supercharger anything else is just colder air. You are not trying to reinvent the CAI, just copy what you already saw out there and duplicate it for less money.
https://www.carid.com/2004-pontiac-g...saAhB7EALw_wcB
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:48 PM

92 Sunbird LE is on a distinguished road
You will gain anyware from 5 to 15 hp with a cold air intake ,cold ram air is the best opertunity to get the higher number.

Doug in P.R.
Old November 9th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Alright, I appreciate the feedback Mel! That's very helpful to know.

Thanks to you too Sunbird!

Looks like I'm doing research on how the setup will be of the cold air intake with my car. I'm curious honestly, if I were to just remove the box, and run the intake to a filter where the box is, would that be beneficial, or counter productive?