Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Fiero Forum

Advertisements

Pontiac Fiero Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Fiero.

Pontiac Forum: I miss the Fiero...

Old July 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Pontiac Forum
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano has disabled reputation
I miss the Fiero...

Ya know... I still miss the Fiero - and I wish it never went away... What was the real reasoning behind that? I forget...

I can't help but to think it was just not the right time for the car. If the Fiero would have launched nowadays with social media - it would have been a hit. Heck, there weren't even forums back when the Fiero was in showrooms... What a shame...

Get your next car or truck for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Old July 27th, 2018, 10:56 AM

cammerjeff is on a distinguished road
Its Complicated, but the short story is $$$

When Pontiac got it pushed thru the red tape at GM it was as a Economy 2 seat commuter car after the 2nd gas crisis in 79. So it used many off the shelf economy car parts, Chevette/T1000 & J Car suspension parts. No real performance options in the 1st year with the Iron Duke engine. Sales projections were around 30,000 cars a year.
Now when it launched it was a hit, they sold over 130,000 of them in 84. They could have sold more if they could have made them. Now the accountants see $$$ to be made and expected to sell 100,000 of them every year.
Add in the usual 1st year product issues multiplied by rushed production and you have many more quality issues than normal. The assembly line was just not made to make that many cars a year.
Now fast forward to 1988, the Chevette is now out of production, along with the version of the J-Cars that they used for suspension parts. So on 1 hand the Fiero received the better suspension that the designers originally wanted to put under the car, but they were unique to the Fiero so the Costs went up, at the same time the sales steadily decreased over the models production run as is normal, any Popular car see this as the original owners move on to the latest Hot Car, and the other manufacturers come out with other models to compete with you.
Sales in the short 88 Model year were still over 25,000 and probably would have beat the 30,000 original sales goal, but the platform was getting old and needed updating, the production cost would increase more, and the company decided it could better spend its limited engineering $$$ some place else.
So it Died. If Buick or Olds or even Saturn would have sold a version it would have been easier to justify. But only Chevy is traditionaly allowed to have a mony losing 2 seater. In recent years even the Corvette makes money for GM.
So from a Buisness standpoint it made sense to cut it. But I agree I do miss it. And the SC 3800 conversion I helped a friend do to a 88 Formula made for a fantastic and inexpensive car.
1978 Sunbird Safari Buick 3.8 2004R
1977 Astre Formula 215 Buick V8 T-5
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed (factory)
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455 TH400
1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6 T-5
Old July 27th, 2018, 12:10 PM

92 Sunbird LE is on a distinguished road
Yeah Jeff ,but it was like riding in a go-cart, not my cup of tea.

Doug in P.R.
Old August 1st, 2018, 09:47 AM
Pontiac Forum
ADMINISTRATOR

Sal Collaziano has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammerjeff View Post
Its Complicated, but the short story is $$$

When Pontiac got it pushed thru the red tape at GM it was as a Economy 2 seat commuter car after the 2nd gas crisis in 79. So it used many off the shelf economy car parts, Chevette/T1000 & J Car suspension parts. No real performance options in the 1st year with the Iron Duke engine. Sales projections were around 30,000 cars a year.
Now when it launched it was a hit, they sold over 130,000 of them in 84. They could have sold more if they could have made them. Now the accountants see $$$ to be made and expected to sell 100,000 of them every year.
Add in the usual 1st year product issues multiplied by rushed production and you have many more quality issues than normal. The assembly line was just not made to make that many cars a year.
Now fast forward to 1988, the Chevette is now out of production, along with the version of the J-Cars that they used for suspension parts. So on 1 hand the Fiero received the better suspension that the designers originally wanted to put under the car, but they were unique to the Fiero so the Costs went up, at the same time the sales steadily decreased over the models production run as is normal, any Popular car see this as the original owners move on to the latest Hot Car, and the other manufacturers come out with other models to compete with you.
Sales in the short 88 Model year were still over 25,000 and probably would have beat the 30,000 original sales goal, but the platform was getting old and needed updating, the production cost would increase more, and the company decided it could better spend its limited engineering $$$ some place else.
So it Died. If Buick or Olds or even Saturn would have sold a version it would have been easier to justify. But only Chevy is traditionaly allowed to have a mony losing 2 seater. In recent years even the Corvette makes money for GM.
So from a Buisness standpoint it made sense to cut it. But I agree I do miss it. And the SC 3800 conversion I helped a friend do to a 88 Formula made for a fantastic and inexpensive car.
Thank you for the great explanation. The car was ahead of it's time. The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky were, what I felt, the Fiero in different clothing...

Get your next car or truck for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!