Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Grand Prix Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Pontiac Forum: Very cheap or free OBDII scan tool software

Old May 26th, 2018, 04:00 PM

ddahlgren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
which one did you buy from HF?
have you tried amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...%3Aabs+scanner
I bought the ZR8 and going to call innova on Tuesday or any other company that will promise their scanner will work with a 2002 Gran Prix SE and connect to ABS and other systems. HF told me Pontiac does not release the info for servicing ABS. I fail to see what the big secret would be with GM ABS.

Old May 26th, 2018, 04:35 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
Thats strange since page 66 of the manual for the ZR8 states it reads Pontiac ABS codes.
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thats strange since page 66 of the manual for the ZR8 states it reads Pontiac ABS codes.
I called them it does not. It does not say it supports all Pontiacs.. It seems they say the 2002 GP ones are not public. I read the tech guy the riot act and asked for a supervisor they have none tech said just return it.
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:57 AM

OK looking at a Innova 31603 that also makes claims to do ABS and SRS on a 2002 GM of all brands. Anyone have one ? Better yet does anyone have a scan tool that will read abs on a 2002 GP SE?
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:22 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

other than someone telling you there is something special about Pontiac ABS codes nobody on this forum, or any other site that I can find, has ever mentioned the issue you are having. How does the average repair shop read Pontiac ABS codes if they are not publicly accessible? I dont doubt you had a problem with the ZR8 but it had nothing to do with the vehicle having non-disclosed codes. On Page 86 of the 31603 it lists Pontiac.
https://csr.innova.com/Content/Manua...aPro/31603.pdf
Old May 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM

It is for sale on Amazon so their return policy is pretty liberal. Innova is impossible to communicate with though. The car has under 100k on it runs good for the most part and plan on keeping it until repairs start getting silly.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:56 PM

Well the Innova 31603 that the factory says will connect to ABS does not. It is not supposed to read air bags but does. The search goes on. I can read wheel speed sensors with an ohm meter but there are a bunch of other things that can go wrong other than that. I am up for ideas.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

what exactly happens when you connected these two scanners and attempted to check abs?
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
what exactly happens when you connected these two scanners and attempted to check abs?
They will not communicate with the ABS. They log on to engine and air bag in about 30 seconds. You can see it get the communications protocol and then log on. The ABS it searches for a long time and attempts finally to try and get codes. It freezes up for minutes and finally comes up with an error that it can not communicate. All the others it list protocol at bottom of screen and ABS it just says 'keyword'. Checked to ABS fuse and it is ok. It has been suggested to check wheel speed sensors but there is a very long list of possible problems that have nothing to do with the wheel speed sensor. It can be pumps relays solenoids wiring etc. I imagine the dealer uses a Tech 2 that is out of budget and the Chinese clones seem like money down the rabbit hole. The Innova I tried might be very hard to return even though Innova told me it would work with engine and ABS but not air bag but it works with engine and air bag but not ABS. I will call them Monday along with company I bought the scanner from. What does everyone else use?
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Innova is looking into the problem how ever they do it there. On another note has anyone ever used a Tech 2? There are chinese clones out there that claim to be functionally the same in every way for OBD II 92 to around 2010 to 2013 depending on ad. Claim to be bidirectional in some ads and some say bidirectional and with software and dongle to update. Big question is does a tech 2 offer live data in detail for all systems including ABS for wheel speeds solenoids etc.