Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Catalina Forum

Advertisements

Pontiac Catalina Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Catalina.

Pontiac Forum: 1968 Catalina Convertible

Old December 31st, 2018, 01:06 PM

ymurphy is on a distinguished road
1968 Catalina Convertible

Hello all. I am new here. Found site by google search. Looks like a great place. My name is Tom. I have a 1968 mustang as well as a 1961 ford f100 unibody. Both are projects I been working on. I found a guy that has a 1968 Catalina convertible for sale. He got it on a trade and is a complete car except for the side trim. It has been sitting in a garage since 1988. Motor is stuck from sitting. He has transmission fluid and liquid wrench in the cylinders hoping to free them up but he has a restoration shop and has to many projects to keep it. Power top works but needs a new top as expected. Floors are solid as is the trunk floor.Interior needs redone but carpet looks good. Has some rot in rear quarters but comes with new skins. Also comes with an extra good chrome front bumper.back bumper needs straightened or a new one. Don't see them online so I assume they don't make them. He is asking $2500 but he told me that is negotiable. Having never fooled with these cars before is this a good price?

Old December 31st, 2018, 01:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
It appears to be a low price especially considering he is negotiable, see link below.
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...ina-value.html
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:06 PM

I think its a good price. Just not knowing if the engine is going to free up and run bothers me. He did text me tonight and said open to offers cause he needs to make room for customers cars and open to trades also.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:08 PM

Also doesn't look like alot of aftermarket parts for these cars. Any other makes or models that interchange?
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:45 AM

cammerjeff is on a distinguished road
It depends on what you are looking for, unfortunately most body parts are specific to Pontiac, from the rear wheels forward the sheet metal is the same as a Pontiac Executive, Bonneville, or 2+2. But interior and trim parts are model specific. Engine wise any 56-78 Pontiac V8 will bolt in but you may have to reuse things like your engines timing cover to use the fan belt pulleys.
Suspension wise 59-70 Pontiac's were pretty unique, and not much is reproduced. Parts can be found but can be alittle difficult. I know a few FS Pontiac part sources so if you decide to buy the car we should be able to find the parts you need.

Post some pictures if you do decide to go for it.
1978 Sunbird Safari Buick 3.8 2004R
1977 Astre Formula 215 Buick V8 T-5
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed (factory)
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455 TH400
1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6 T-5
Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:39 PM

mobileparts is on a distinguished road
Great News..........

If anyone decides to put this car back together, I have mountains of parts --- Lots of
N. O. S. Parts ---- all mechanical , sorry, no body parts....,
Always best to simply call me --- Craig 516 - 485 - 1935.......
Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:37 PM

I may be calling you.Looks like I may be buying it. My wife loves big old convertibles. After this I have to finish one of my projects. I am 54 and love old cars and trucks.Always have.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 10:31 PM

Looks like I am buying it Sunday. After he delivers it I will post up some pictures before I start stripping the paint.
One think I know for sure I will be looking for is the side trim on both sides.He doesn't have that.
Old January 4th, 2019, 12:02 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
good luck with the purchase. Has the current owner got the engine to run and does the transmission appear to be good?
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:58 PM

He hasnt tried anymore since pouring transmission fluid and liquid wrench in the cylinders. Ill try to free it up after I get it here.Not sure on transmission.Car ran and drove till being stored in a garage since 1988.