Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac Torrent Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac Torrent Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Torrent.

Pontiac Forum: 2008 Torrent sudden loud grinding metallic sound from engine - your help please!

Old May 15th, 2018, 07:22 PM
newb

MrShoes is on a distinguished road
2008 Torrent sudden loud grinding metallic sound from engine - your help please!

Hello everyone,

This morning I encountered a scary sound from my 2008 Torrent GXP. Upon turning the ignition, reversing out of my driveway and driving at about 15 mph down my neighborhood, I heard a loud metallic grinding sound. So loud in fact that I rolled down my windows and looked around to see if it was coming from a landscaper or someone working a blower! The sound emanated from the engine. Anyways, after only a few hundred feet the sound subsided, but it was loud and quite aggressive.

I took it to the shop thinking I was about to lose something important and to my surprise, the mechanic was not able to replicate the sound. I suggested it might be the water pump, belt or bearing, but he failed to move forward to even perform any diagnostic to try and locate the issue.

Now I had brakes replaced a year ago and it doesn't sound like its that. I checked the undercarriage and hood and found no debris.

Any ideas are appreciated!

M

Old May 15th, 2018, 08:31 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
not sure how someone on the internet is going to be able to tell you the source of a noise that a mechanic could not find with the vehicle right in front of them.
Are there any other symptoms?
has the noise reoccured after the engine cooled down?
did you open the hood and try to find the source of the noise when it occurred?
Old May 16th, 2018, 01:56 AM
newb

MrShoes is on a distinguished road
Well, true, but then again if mechanics could diagnose everything properly, forums like this may not be as useful or insightful. I failed to include my suspicions that mechanic didn't try very hard - but all shops are trustworthy, aren't they?

Yes I stated that I checked the engine when it had occurred, to no avail, and the mechanic nor I was able to replicate the sound after the engine cooled - at the time. However since then there seems to be a quieter rattling that can be heard but that doesn't last long nor does it approximate the earlier sounds.

Haven't seen any other signs that potentially correlate, but figured if there was an existing problem with this model vehicle - other owners here would be able to add their two cents. I am not as savvy an owner as many here are, so in the meantime will keep observing - Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:23 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
to help isolate the source of a noise in an engine use a length of rubber hose with one end held near your ear and the other end is moved around to the various engine components similar to using a stethoscope. If you can provide more information that would be helpful.
How many miles on the vehicle?
Did you check the engine oil level when cold?
Did the noise seem to be coming from the passenger side of the vehicle?
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:52 AM

08AWD is on a distinguished road
I would be focusing on the
-water pump
-power steering
- serpentine belt tensioner
areas.