Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac CUV and Van Forums > Pontiac SV6 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac SV6 Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac SV6.

Pontiac Forum: Recirculation mode

Old July 4th, 2018, 05:38 PM

DLB is on a distinguished road
Recirculation mode

This is from the Owners Manual:

"Recirculation: This mode keeps outside air from
coming in the vehicle. It can be used to prevent outside
air and odors from entering your vehicle or help heat
or cool the air inside your vehicle more quickly.
This mode will automatically be selected when you
select maximum air conditioning."

The problem is that I can find no switch to engage recirculation to stop outside air from coming into the system. Only when maximum air conditioning is selected then recirculation is automatically set.

Also when defogger or defroster is on then recirculation is said to be off. But how can it be set to be on? There is no mention on how to activate recirculation when heating, but the above said it can be used to help heat more quickly.

Am I missing something?

Dan

Old July 5th, 2018, 10:01 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
Please post the year when you ask a question, by digging through your prior emails I believe you have a 2005.
If you look at the picture of the climate controls on page 3-26, under the fan speed are two buttons. The one on the left lets outside air in, the one on the right is recirculate.
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...ac-Montana.pdf
Old July 5th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
Please post the year when you ask a question, by digging through your prior emails I believe you have a 2005.
If you look at the picture of the climate controls on page 3-26, under the fan speed are two buttons. The one on the left lets outside air in, the one on the right is recirculate.
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...ac-Montana.pdf
Thanks for responding and for looking up my previous posts. I have the 2005 SV6. I think 2005 was the last year they sold the older Montana, and the first year for the SV6, designed more like the Uplander and the Terraza.

The manual you posted is for the Montana model which has a different dash. On my dash the only button below the fan speed is the ac on/off, which is to the right. I have the manual for the SV6, and no outside air/recirculate button is shown, unless there is a dual purpose button.

I did find this in my manual on page 3-25:

Outside Air: This mode will be automatically selected
when your vehicle is in any mode except maximum
air conditioning.

There appears to be a contradiction here. Outside air is automatic when heating, but as I previously posted, it says recirculation can be used to either heat or cool the vehicle more quickly.

If I am understanding the manual correctly, it may not be necessary to manually engage the recirculation. I think if I use maximum ac, and set the temperature a little to the right, the compressor will cycle off occasionally to save gas when things are cool enough.

In the past, my vehicles simply mixed the cold and hot air to get the set temperature, which still uses the same amount of fuel. What I would sometimes do on my Chrysler was to to keep recirculation on and turn off the ac temporarily to get better mpg.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this.
Old July 6th, 2018, 12:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I believe the 2006 manual gives a better description of your control panel, Page 3-25. Moving the temperature control will change the position of a blend door it will not cause the compressor to cycle off. The manual truly is written very poorly as far as how to engage recirculate. There does not appear to be an actual knob position, other than Max, or button to engage it.
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...ontana-SV6.pdf
Old July 6th, 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
I believe the 2006 manual gives a better description of your control panel, Page 3-25. Moving the temperature control will change the position of a blend door it will not cause the compressor to cycle off. The manual truly is written very poorly as far as how to engage recirculate. There does not appear to be an actual knob position, other than Max, or button to engage it.
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...ontana-SV6.pdf
The manual is confusing, and I find it strange that a good feature of earlier models was removed. I understand why MAX ac would default to recirculation, but it would seem that it will not promote fuel economy as I hoped.

The reason I assumed the compressor would cycle was based on this line in both the 2005 and 2006 manuals:

You may notice a slight change in engine performance
when the air conditioning compressor shuts off and
turns on again. This is normal. The system is designed
to make adjustments to help with fuel economy while
still maintaining the selected temperature.

Thanks again for the information. What settings would you recommend for best fuel economy after normal comfort has been achieved?
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:03 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

That's another interesting quote, it does seem to indicate the compressor will cycle. if that is the case set it for the warmest setting you still feel comfortable with.