Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Grand Prix Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac Grand Prix Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Pontiac Forum: 2002 brake lines

Old September 14th, 2018, 06:31 PM

ddahlgren is on a distinguished road
2002 brake lines

Had to change the one that goes left to right on the firewall a few years ago and now one under the center of the car blew out last night. What happened to split braking as I did not lose rear brakes lost all brakes.

Is this going to be an easy fix or do I need to buy a pre bent line from the dealer? I have to get it up on stands though can't get it in the garage as the Corvette is up on stands so down to no cars right now.

Does anyone know what it looks like off the top of their head or if a piece of straight tubing from NAPA will go from end to end where it attaches? If straight line will work a diameter and length would help.

Dave

Old September 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
any chance a local junk yard has the line 1997 to 2003 could be the same.
Old September 15th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Called the dealer today and they claimed it is 3/16 brake line, I would imagine with bubble flairs and a bend it yourself part. They said they have changed a lot of them and locally the salt is so bad they have had to trash rotors and calipers too.

For fun asked the service department on how much to change the line and bleed. 3 to 400 plus towing to get the car there.. Yikes lines and fluid is under 40 bucks retail but hey for tubing that is 89 cents a foot and they need 4+ a foot. I imagine 8 bucks of brake fluid must be 50 at those rates. I will fininsh the Corvette and pull the Gand prix in the shop thanks..
Old September 15th, 2018, 08:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

are you a member of Club Corvette of Connecticut?
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:31 AM

I am not a member where are they located? I was thinking a while back about joining a local club that was fairly active but they disbanded fell apart whatever. I did not really fit in as hey were all about show and wax and I own a well loved driver class car though looked better than some that were at the shows.
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:05 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I see you are in SE CT, I'm in Danbury and belong to Candlewood Valley Corvettes. Club Corvette of CT. is the largest CT club and is based in Branford, CT. So I'm not sure which one is closer to you. Since Club Corvette of CT is very large, maybe 300 members there is a broad base of interests. Candlewood has about 60 members and at this point the membership including myself are in you age group. We go for Sunday back road cruises to lunch destintations, an occasional car show to support the club running the event, and various other activities. My 69 is a driver with over 200k miles.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
I see you are in SE CT, I'm in Danbury and belong to Candlewood Valley Corvettes. Club Corvette of CT. is the largest CT club and is based in Branford, CT. So I'm not sure which one is closer to you. Since Club Corvette of CT is very large, maybe 300 members there is a broad base of interests. Candlewood has about 60 members and at this point the membership including myself are in you age group. We go for Sunday back road cruises to lunch destintations, an occasional car show to support the club running the event, and various other activities. My 69 is a driver with over 200k miles.
The club you are in sounds like the one we had around here. Same activities about the same size maybe smaller. Mine is a 91 coupe ok car and have had it for 11 years now. I am a bit terrified the next issue to come up is going to be the heater core LOL. Just changed the water pump and finishing the air pump delete. The previous owner had under drive pulleys and found a set of original ones in good shape so doing that as well. All the under drive ones did was make the engine run hot and alternator not charge at idle..LOL I have done a ton of work to it and still have some things to do and debating keeping it or selling it to be honest. It is a low miles car with around 75k in 27 years.
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

I did my heater core decades ago, luckily it is a non-ac car making it a little easier.