Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Grand Am Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network cars connected social networking app for ios cars connected social networking app for android

suspension parts, shocks, struts and more

Notices

Pontiac Grand Am Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Grand Am.

Pontiac Forum: lost power then no start

Old October 7th, 2017, 11:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
do you see a wear pattern on the lifters? I cannt tell from the picture. The lifters should slide, now that you have them out, do they move freely in the lifter bores?
Since you have everything apart already and seem to want to hold onto the car check out the price of new lifters and cam. Since you saw metal those lifters may have particles in them.

Old October 19th, 2017, 10:31 PM

Heathw is on a distinguished road
Ok so I removed cam housings from the 2000 Grand am I bought and pulled lifters out (keeping them in order for reinstall) cleaned the housings, made sure oil passages were not plugged and prelubed the lifters then installed housings on my 99 Grand am. Still have the noise. I've done everything I think I can to top end with no good results so there is no doubt if I drive as is I'm going to have a major failure in the very near future. It's odd my 99 Grand am is nothing special but I really like how she drives so motor is coming out. It is going to be a rebuild project for the winter with a few possible performance upgrades. Found a cheap car to drive and a used 2.4 twin cam to put into the 2000 Grand am for a back up car. So I still need some advice. The used engine is in a 97 Cavalier. To transfer from the 97 Cavalier to the 2000 Grand am do i transfer motor only or will I also need to do something to computer. My 99 was after the mid year upgrade when they discontinued the EGR until 2002 and I'm pretty sure the 2.4 in the cavalier has a EGR. Advice would be great or a point in the right direction for this info would be greatly appreciated!
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:34 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
it is always best when doing that type of swap to get the ecm and engine wire harness
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:39 PM

Ok I'm getting the complete car so I will have everything! I appreciate the time you spent over the last year to answer my questions! I had hoped to keep this engine going well into the 200,000 mile area but 197,000 isn't a bad number for a 2.4 from what I have read. Plus $150 for a 2 year driver I will not complain about! Thanks again!
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:01 PM

Thought I would give you all a up date. I had it locked in my mind that the noise was top end. I ran across a video on easy way to check rod bearings through the spark plug hole. So come to find out #1, #2 and #3 bearings are bad not a lot of movement so I'm thinking that's why it was more of a tapping noise and not a knocking. Still planning on rebuild this winter! Till next time!