Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

pontiac forums   pontiac forums

Go Back   Pontiac Forums > Pontiac Car Forums > Pontiac Grand Am Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Pontiac Grand Am Forum Discuss topics regarding the Pontiac Grand Am.

Pontiac Forum: Car wobbling?

Old September 11th, 2018, 09:17 PM

Hotsuma9 is on a distinguished road
Car wobbling?

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE Sedan 4 Door 2.4L 4 Cylinders (Red)

Last Tuesday I went to a tire shop and bought two used tires for the front. A few days later, I realized that the front right tire was going flat and whenever I tried to put air in it, it didn't help at all. It was up enough to drive back to the tire shop and the second I pulled up, they saw that it was going flat. When they took off the tire, they found that it was leaking air around the rim part. So, then they put on another used tire for free and everything seemed to be fine.

Then I began to notice that while I'm driving, it'll sometimes feel like the car is wobbling and it feels like it's that same tire causing it. This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I checked the PSI of both front tires and they were both around 40 psi. My two back tires are 28 psi. Isn't 28 psi the standard for these tires (225/45/R18)?

1) What could be causing the wobbling?

2) I am also having an issue where the car wants to go left badly. I thought it was a psi issue, so I let some air out of the front right tire and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still trying to veer left while driving. What could be the cause?

3) There's another issue with the steering wheel where it'll shake violently when going over 50 mph. This seems to be related to the front right rotor. When I did my brakes, I found that the front right rotor was loose (the left side is solid). So, I messed with it a bit until it stopped shaking. When I drove my car, the steering wheel was rock solid. No shaking at all. When I had the tire shop put on those two front tires, the shaky steering wheel came back. What do you think?

Old September 12th, 2018, 09:41 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
I think you bought some really bad used tires and the shop didnt balance them correctly. The 40 psi reading is a clue that they dont seem to be too careful. Do you have any idea what the date code is on the tires? Anything over 10 years old is ready to be junked.
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsg5 View Post
I think you bought some really bad used tires and the shop didnt balance them correctly. The 40 psi reading is a clue that they dont seem to be too careful. Do you have any idea what the date code is on the tires? Anything over 10 years old is ready to be junked.
Never checked but I will tomorrow.
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:24 PM

The date codes for the two front tires are: 2515 and 3716. I let some air out of the tires. Now they're both at 28 psi.
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

melsg5 is on a distinguished road
25th week of 2015 and the 37th week of 2016. Age wise they are OK.
Old September 13th, 2018, 04:05 PM

Good to know. Thanks.