02 Grand am misfire issue.

rspencer2293

New here. Not sure if this is in the right place or not, if not I apologize. Anyway, my brother owned a 02 Grand am gt with the 3.4, he first got it a year ago, & it ran rough. Wasn't taken care of, never did tune ups. I had to do intake gaskets for him, (he doesn't know about cars) so I told him to be safe do head gaskets also. So he bought them, I did those while it was apart, since then He's drove it fine, ran smooth. But he still didn't take care of it, I just bought it a few days ago, & been going threw it fixing what needs to be, I'm having an issue with a p0306, misfire on #6, he said he had AutoZone check codes, & said something about to much fuel in the catalytic converter, Haven't seen that code yet, but I just put in 6 new iridium plugs, wires, also bought a coil pack. Still missing. Ran some tests, it's getting spark, I used a screwdriver & could faintly hear an injector pulse, couldn't hear if it was consistent or not. I was cold, it was snowing and I was rushing, so I'm getting fuel(I think), I'm getting spark, just curious, I checked the compression, it's good. Still missing. & The check engine light flashes at times. My question is, the icm(ignition control module). Could it possibly be bad only on that coil & not spark consistently at times? I'm lost. Igot it for free, but after putting a starter on, water pump, brakes, rotors, tires, coil, plugs, wires, radio, & misc stuff, I wanna be sure before I spent the 120$ for the icm, or if it's an injector & spending 100$ each, since I'd do all 6. I'm sure I'm missing things, but I tried keeping it short. Thanks in advance for your help!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
what was the compression reading on all the cylinders?
can you switch the coil positions to see if the misfire moves with the coil currently firing #6?

rspencer2293

Compression on that cylinder was around 115-120. I didn't check the others, & it stays on the #6 cylinder. What double checked injectors today, that injector is firing. & Even with the new coil it misses. I pulled the plug wore off a bit & seen the spark. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes the check engine light flashes, which made me think of the ignition control module intermittently causing it. But it was frigid where I live today & the garage is full so I didn't mess with it much. I plan on checking more in the morning hopefully.

rspencer2293

I like to think I'm pretty decent when it comes to cars. Im a mechanic on the side, currently doing a transmission swap in a Durango which is why my garage is full, anyway my point is, things like that I'm good with, but when it comes electrical issues, I'm not to good. Ive had some people say could be intake gaskets, I haven't checked that. Plan on it tomorrow spraying it down & checking, also I owned a 2003 Grand am 3.4 before this car, but hydroplaned & hit a tree, I bought it with most of the rocker arm threads stripped, paid 300$ for the car, so I got helicoils(not sure if I spelled that right) & put those in, it still ran after i wrecked. I'm curious if it could be something like that, maybe valve issue. I'm just trying to narrow things down, rule things out instead of throwing money at it. & I need it reliable since I drive pretty far for work, & it usually dies at random when it's rainy/wet, I was going about 30-35 one night & it died, also died when pulling into a circle k, always started back up. When dry it doesn't stall at all, just rough idle, & power comes & goes along with check engine light flashing from time to time. Again, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, last forum I'm on didn't take to kindly to it. Lol. & I really appreciate any help I could get.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I'm really puzzled why you would only do a compression test on one cylinder and then make a comment about a valve issue.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.