05 Grand Am GT - What (on the gauge) is considered normal operating temp?

Auxient

Nevada
I just acquired an 05 Grand Am GT 2 door and it seems to run pretty good, however I have noticed that it tends to creep past the middle (200) on the temp gauge. The highest I have seen it is a little past one tick mark above the 200 mark. It climbs a bit when I am stopped and seems to hang out around a tick below the 200 mark for about 20 minutes of running after it is warmed up before it then creeps past. Oddly enough, turning the A/C on causes the gauge to go back below the 200 mark after a while but it will then creep back up. No coolant in oil or vice versa, intake gasket has been replaced by previous owner. Coolant level is good. I tried unplugging the temp sensor and the fans just stay on, however they do not come on at all if it is plugged in. Previous owner said it always runs a little above the 200 mark but most cars I have ever driven stay below the middle or right at it. Where should it be? And at what point should I be concerned?

Thanks.

EDIT: I should mention that this is the 3.4L V6.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
have you looked at the fans when you turn on the AC to see if they work?
fans with the AC off will come on at about the 215 mark.
you may have to confirm the accuracy of the gauge by renting an IR gun.

Auxient

Nevada
have you looked at the fans when you turn on the AC to see if they work?
fans with the AC off will come on at about the 215 mark.
you may have to confirm the accuracy of the gauge by renting an IR gun.
The fans do come on with the A/C on. Although the A/C method only forks for a bit and then it creeps back up. I replaced the coolant temp sensor last night and it stayed one tick below the 200 mark the whole way home (20 miles, part of it uphill), but it was also 35 degrees Fahrenheit outside. So it is normal for the gauge to go past the half way mark on these cars?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the normal operating temperature is from 195 to 225 depending on whether you are idling or moving and the outside temperature. When completely cold is your coolant tank at the proper level?

Auxient

Nevada
the normal operating temperature is from 195 to 225 depending on whether you are idling or moving and the outside temperature. When completely cold is your coolant tank at the proper level?
225 would be about 1 tick before the 3/4 mark on the gauge yes? Has not gotten that hot yet.

Coolant level appears fine, although it does have the dexcool sludge inside the reservoir.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I only have the image in the owners manual to refer to and it shows the middle is 200 so a little above that is fine.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.