05 vibe fuel or ignition cut off

H

Heather

My insurance company is offering me a reduction in premium if I have a cut-off device for ignition, starter, or fuel. Does anyone know how I can tell if a vehicle is equipped with this? I have a 2005 Vibe AWD.

catmandew

That's the whole point of having a cut-off device. They're not supposed to be easy to find! LOL If you bought the car new or the previous owner didn't tell you about one, it probably doesn't have one. An old-fashioned fuel cut-off would be the easiest to check for. Just follow the fuel line from the tank to the engine compartment. It would have to be spliced in somewhere, usually mounted in the floor near where you sit, so it's handy. Kind of like the valves they use to switch gas tanks on trucks that have two of them. You could also install an electrical switch with electric fuel pumps. An ignition switch cut-off is often mounted under the dash where it would be hard to see, but easy to reach. That can cut off the feed to the ignition or the starter solenoid, A pretty good investment if the insurance savings amounts to much, it's one of the oldest and cheapest theft deterrent devices available. Not only that, but think of all the hassles you have to go through if it does get stolen.

Goatman

GM/ASE service/body Tech
Janesville Wi
My insurance company is offering me a reduction in premium if I have a cut-off device for ignition, starter, or fuel. Does anyone know how I can tell if a vehicle is equipped with this? I have a 2005 Vibe AWD.
Most factory vehicles don't have cut offs, but I would think your insurance would be refering to an aftermarket system for theft protection..
although some factory anti theft systems would qualify for it your dealer could tell you if your car has one .