06 GP GXP ignition issues and unknown sensor

JBlast

Iowa
I have an 06 GP GXP. I have replaced all the coil packs. Now, it starts hard when cold, but fires right up after it warms up. It also idles rough and just does not run right when driving. Today I got a multiple random misfire code P0300. All the plugs and coils are secure and the wires are firmly connected. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, wondering if someone could tell me what this sensor is. It is located right below #1 coil on front left of engine. The two wires are not touching, but I noticed the shield is wearing down almost to the wire. Could this be related to the misfire/starting issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210503_123719.jpg
    20210503_123719.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 2

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Try this link to determine what the sensor is.
Do you have a check engine light on and if so what is the code?

JBlast

Iowa
The link is unusable on my phone. It is full of pop up ads and a banner wanting me to contact a mechanic.
Yes the check engine light is on. As I stated in the OP, the code is P0300, which I understand is somewhat of a generic code and could indicate several different problems. My OBDII says random multiple misfires.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I can't help with the misfire codes, but according to the link provided the sensor below the #1 coil pack is called an ETC Sensor, it provides engine coolant temp to the ECU.

Sogns of a car that jumped time:
Hard starting cold, fire up when warm.
Multiple random misfire codes.
Poor idle, poor throttle response, missing, backfiring.
You have jumped a tooth on the chain.
Fix it now before it becomes 2 or more teeth and you destroy the motor.

G

G-863250

I have an 04 exact same conditions. I had to raise the idle a little bit so it would stop throwing a misfire code . Then I got a high idle code . So I wonder if the timing chain is stretched or jumped a tooth? I took it to two mechanics paid $600 to each to tell me they can’t find nothing wrong... SMH

I have an 04 exact same conditions. I had to raise the idle a little bit so it would stop throwing a misfire code . Then I got a high idle code . So I wonder if the timing chain is stretched or jumped a tooth? I took it to two mechanics paid $600 to each to tell me they can’t find nothing wrong... SMH
Mechanics...lol
I will be busy all summer fixing cars mechanics could not finds the problems on.
My neighbor just bought a car from a mechanic......a Corrolla.
Title come back as a Scion Xa.
Go figure & the car needs a lot of mechanical work. LMAO

The guides wear out and thats when it jumps a tooth.
Off 1 tooth is not too bad, mechanically.
It'll still run, but with numerous issues.
Hard cold start, easy warm start, multiple random misfires, o2 codes, temp codes, air/fuel codes, idle codes.
The cylinders are not firing when they are supposed to.
These things point to the timing but the only way to know for sure is to pull the timing cover and look.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yeah but I looked at the timing chain, there is no guides. It’s just the two sprockets, cam, crank and the chain.
You have no other post in this thread so not clear why you are commenting on your car without any details of the issue you are having?

JBlast

Iowa
To put this thread back on track...
I replaced all the plug wires. Went from random multiple misfires to a misfire on cylinder 7. Had this problem last summer- misfire on #7. Thought it needed a downstream O2 sensor. Took it to shop and they found a loose spark plug(said it did not need O2 sensor). They took all the plugs out and cleaned them and put them back in. Car ran like a champ until a few weeks ago, which ultimately led me to my original post above. Going to change all the plugs as current ones are 3 years old. Probably change the #7 injector and fuel filter at the same time. Anyone have recommendations for brand/model # for plugs?

JBlast

Iowa
The OEM plug listed in the owners manual
Have you had any issues with the ACDelco plugs? I've seen alot of guys poo-pooing them. I bought the car used and when I changed the plugs the previous owner had(a mix of acdelco, champion🤦🏻‍♂️) I went with what I was seeing on other forums, etc., and installed NGK TR6IX plugs. They seemed to be decent. Just can't seem to find them in stock around here.