• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

06 Torrent, Fried ECM...

girldiver

Washington
I was trying to jump start my friends car and the metal part of the positive handle touched my ECM while it was on the battery and now the car wont start. The lights, radio and everything like that works but when I turn the key it doesn't try to turn over or start or anything it just kind of clicks once and nothing. I took apart the ECM and the middle cluster of wires has a blue piece on the bottom that is charred and so is the prong that sticks out of the ECM that plugs into it.

I'm assuming I have to replace the ECM but I'm wondering if I have to replace the plastic piece that has the cluster of wires or not and if I "HAVE" to replace the ECM lol the wire coming out of the charred spot is a black wire and I'm thinking it might be a ground wire.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about or has any advice it would be much appreciated. :eek:

girldiver

Washington
well, not that blue piece... I'm not sure how to post photos here to show you what it looks like. The cluster of wires that goes into the plastic wiring harness that plugs into the ECM is where the tiny blue piece is at. I have recently talked to some people and I'm pretty confident that the blue piece is what the ground wire goes into (because the black ground wire is coming out of the other side of the harness). I'm pretty sure that I grounded out the ECM because that is the only part that is charred.

I was told that I should take apart the plastic wiring harness to check that none of the wires are melted or melted to the ground wire and that I should also have someone run a check to see if anything else in the car is shorted out... Is there a way that I can test the rest of the car without having to tow it to a shop and pay them to check it?

I have no problem taking apart the wiring harness and checking that and putting it back together but I'd hate to buy an ECM and replace it and then fry the new one because something is all messed up....

I hope this makes since, and if there is a way to post pictures on here let me know!!

Thank you!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
use an ohm meter and a probe to see if you have continuity on the blue connector.