07 Grand Prix Front End creaking/ popping

KenG29

Reaction score
I'm looking for any input on what this creaking sound may be. I've taken my car to 3 different shops and all 3 told me different things, $1500 later and new struts, lower control arms, hub assemblies, engine and transmission mounts, sway bar links and cv axles the sound is still there. Has anyone else experienced this or might know what it is. Any input is appreciated. Here's a video of the sound
http://youtu.be/GpZgxvtodLk

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
is the sound accompanied by a thumping feeling in the steering wheel, if so, my guess is the intermediate steering shaft. Find out if any of shops have access to TSB's, technical service bulletins, because Pontiac issued one covering your problem and they should have looked it up.

Manufacturer Communication No.: 01-02-32-001
Component(s): STEERING NHTSA ID Number: 618086

All Products Associated with this Manufacturer Communication expand

Details close

0 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:
CONCERNS WITH CLUNK NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE TURNING MANEUVER / STEERING WHEEL ROTATION.*JB (LUBRICATE OR REPLACE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT AS APPROPRIATE). UPDATED 10/05/07. *NJ UPDATED 4/1/08. *NJ UPDATED 7/1/2008 *PE

cammerjeff

Reaction score
Anouther possibility is the upper strut bushings, were they replaced when the struts were replaced? Very common noise source. They bolt between the struts and the chassis, usually last about 10,000 miles longer than the front struts. Customers of mine that get cheap on the struts an opt to go with the struts only usually bring the car back in about 6 months complaining that it is making the same clunking noise again.

Xitmnt

Reaction score
We replaced the entire strut assemblies because the strut mounts and bearings were bad, as well as the intermediate steering shaft. No more clunking or popping.