08 3.5L Headache

MarlanaD83

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I have been searching for advice and keep getting conflicting answers. Purchased my G6 GT a year ago. It's an 08 so I knew there would be issues to address, but it's getting ridiculous. First it overheats, replaced thermostat twice, reservoir, water pump then temp control sensor. Fans don't go off so it killed a battery, wired a toggle and bought new battery. Then it starts sputtering when accelerating and refuses to downshift in D. At the same time my front driver side brake engages without warning, ruining a new caliper and rim. I've replaced plugs, wires, coil packs, ABS sensors, fuses, and relays. That problem resolved but still has the miss and downshift problem. Then randomly starts running hot again. Just put a fuel injector cleaner in it to help with the sputtering, car starts running great, parked it Monday for a few hrs and it won't start. It cranked once then clicks. Tuesday I checked relays fuses grounds and battery terminals and charged the battery overnight. Wednesday go out to check, no interior lights, no crank no click no radio(all worked on Tuesday) and doors wont lock. Motor will turn over so I'm installing a new starter today. I can't afford to pay for expensive dealership repairs unless it is absolutely needed. I would greatly appreciate any advice and do apologize for the length.. I'm at my witts end, my next move will be an exorcism or viking funeral 🙄🤣😭

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You state on Wednesday motor will turn over so why are you changing the starter?

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Fusible link might be broken or bad ground cable.I had a starter short out internally and kill the battery twice on 2 different vehicles...also.

As for overheating, hate to say this , might be a head gasket....try running it with no thermostat.

My sister had one of those cars, had problems with the calipers locking up also.

Doug in P.R.😎