• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

08 pontiac g5 trunk

flynndawg

east tn
hay guys... can you help me... I have a 08 g5... im tryin to figger out how to get the trunk release / cylinder out of the trunk... im trying to track down why my trunk release button wont work... I think the wires are all there... ive traced them far enough to 'assume' they are all connected... I replaced the trunk button... I am trying to get the trunk release latch out of the trunk lid... I cant figure how the get the cylinder to release from the latch... ive looked all over google and cant find anything... ive unscrewed the latch but cant get it to release from the cylinder... HELP... !!! thank ye very much... :)

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lets start over.
Can you open the trunk with a key?
Why wouldnt the wires be there, did you just get this car?
Did you use a voltmeter or test light on the trunk release button?
Look at www.gmpartsdirect.com, select your car, body section, trunk, shows the cylinder and retainer.

flynndawg

east tn
the key will open the trunk... im a redneck mechanic... I can fix shit but I don't know how to use any meters... I have a 89 stang and 93 bronco... sumtimes they even puzzle me... I aint stooped … I just never got into the electronic / electrical thing trying to fix stuff... I did find 1 video where it mite be the solenoid on the trunk... the wires are there and hooked up... but diving into this car I think I may have mentioned the power mirrors didn't work... I pulled the door panels off... whatever dumbass had cut the damn wires instead of pulling the male / female connectors... I spliced them back together... mirrors work perfect... :) I just want to get the trunk latch / key cylinder out of the trunk lid... I do have friends with meters that can check that stuff... and I hope you know melsg5 you have been a great help... you turned me on to the rear bumper harness for the lites… they work great... :) I also know the car is spose to have fogs on it but the idiot that put the car back together put a shit front bumper on it... the fog connectors are hanging down there but there is no where to put them... I may evidently replace the front bumper with the fog lite bumper... ive owned the car since November... you buy used... you get used... :cautious:

Lets start over.
Can you open the trunk with a key?
Why wouldnt the wires be there, did you just get this car?
Did you use a voltmeter or test light on the trunk release button?
Look at www.gmpartsdirect.com, select your car, body section, trunk, shows the cylinder and retainer.
[/QUOTE]

flynndawg

east tn
I can send a pic tomorrow... it is a 08 g5 trunk lid... the latch and cylinder are kinda covered up by the way the trunk is made... you cant really see anything without a lite and a mirror... :cautious: :(

flynndawg

east tn
I did... the key opens the trunk... the wires are there... I didn't use a volt meter... ive had the car since November...

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So why are you trying to take things apart if you dont know if you have power at the switch????

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You start using a voltmeter or test light before replacing anything or going through an involved disassembly.