09 Vibe Base clutch peculiar?

FatherTime

upstate NY
I purchased an 09 Vibe Base manual 1.8 a few weeks ago. My question for you Vibe owners...is there anything peculiar about the clutch action in these (starting out from stopped)? Can't seem to get the hang of starting out smoothly, and consistently. At first I chalked it up to not having driven a standard in 15 years...but I don't know. I don't notice any slipping in any gears, shifts quite nicely, and accelerates fine. Seems like my starts are sometimes a bit jerky, and feel the need to give it more RPMs, and hold the clutch at the engagement point a bit longer then should be necessary. I did get it to "shudder" once, can't remember why that happened. Any advice or feedback? Again...could be my lack of clutch skills, but I did drive manuals for 20 years.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I'm sure the manuals you drove were mechanical linkage clutches, this is a hydraulic clutch so it may feel different.

FatherTime

upstate NY
I purchased an 09 Vibe Base manual 1.8 a few weeks ago. My question for you Vibe owners...is there anything peculiar about the clutch action in these (starting out from stopped)? Can't seem to get the hang of starting out smoothly, and consistently. At first I chalked it up to not having driven a standard in 15 years...but I don't know. I don't notice any slipping in any gears, shifts quite nicely, and accelerates fine. Seems like my starts are sometimes a bit jerky, and feel the need to give it more RPMs, and hold the clutch at the engagement point a bit longer then should be necessary. I did get it to "shudder" once, can't remember why that happened. Any advice or feedback? Again...could be my lack of clutch skills, but I did drive manuals for 20 years.
In the weeks following my original post, the clutch chatter became real obvious when starting from a complete stop (and reverse). Again, no other symptoms. It was bad enough that I visited with at least 4 mechanics to get an idea of what may be happening and what I needed to do. I got 4 different opinions, everything from warped flywheel to contaminated clutch plate, worn clutch ect.. Being frustrated by all the differing opinions I decided to wait til mid Feb to get any work done, hoping by then I could get a definitive idea of what was actually happening. A couple weeks had gone by and I came to realize that the chatter had stopped completely. Needless to say, quite happy that I didn't dive into a $1200 repair that wasn't immediately necessary. Any thoughts on why/how the clutch chatter/shudder could have resolved itself?