140 MPH speedometer

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes, 1971 A bodies had 140 mph speedometers but that doesnt mean the car will go 140 mph.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
You have to keep in mind the 85mph Speedo was a Federal Mandate back when the national speed limit was reduced to 55mph after the gas crunch of late 1973. They thought that not having number higher than 85 would encourage people to drive slower. That regulation was taken off some time in the mid to late 1980's. So don;t complain about the manufacturer doing that particular thing.

I wasn't complaining about the manufacturers. It Just seemed strange. Back in the early 50s some trucks and cars had 80 mph speedos.
Jeff, You are my neighbor. I live in Dearborn. Lots of car guy friends in Van Buren TWP and Ypsi area. My neighbor has a 66 2+2 Red with
black vinyl top.

That would be great. My car group meets every Wed. ( 6 or 7 out of 20 ) meets at L George's on Michigan Ave just east of Belleville Rd at 9 a.m.
I don't go. But having a Pontiac Nut in the group would give me reason to go. Who knows when the gov't will allow us to go to restaurants again.

I sure will. One of the guys has a Superbird he trailers around the country. Also Tom from Wayne has a beautiful stock 66 Catalina conv. Bob from Dearborn Height has a 66 2+2 and a 64 GTO set up for drag racing by Royal Pontiac.

No worried Ken, and you are correct we are probably less than 30 minutes apart, we should meet up somewhere this spring when the road salt washed away!
Jeff, my group will meet Wed. Feb. 3 @ L. George's in Canton on Michigan Ave. east of Belleville Road (Canton Center) at 9 am. I won't be there as I don't get my 2nd shot until Friday 2-26. But I'm sure my pals will enjoy your company. I am extra careful as I had covid-19 in March. Still not 100%. Ken

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Ken,

I won't be able to make it this month, I am in TX at a customers site until late in Feb.

But keep me informed please