• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1962 Pontiac loud noise when key is turned to the off position to shut off car.

cruiserdog

I have a 1962 Grand Prix, should be the same as a Catalina in this concern.
The car starts fine, but when I turn the ignition key off there is a loud noise coming from the engine compartment? Sounds like a Bendix gear noise, but I'm not sure. Also the ignition switch is not placed in the dash properly, so I have to turn the key it a little to the right to turn completely off the car. I'm not sure what this noise could be, does anyone have an answers?

Thanks,

Cruiserdog

Kevlar

Just a wild stab here but, if you say the ignition switch is placed improperly and you have to turn the key a little off to turn off the car, is it possible that the switch is activating the starter when you do this? That's the only Bendix type noise generator that I can think of. Check the wiring on the ignition switch.

It may be possible that the starter is still engaged but that would make noise as the engine is running. Maybe the solenoid is engaging when you turn the switch off.

cruiserdog

1962 Grand Prix Ignition Noise

Thanks, That does kinda make sense, I will check the wiring. I may need to replace the ignition switch as well.

Cruiserdog