• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1963 Catalina timing question.

I have a 1963 Catalina with a 1974 455 bored .030 with 6x 400 heads, I just finished rebuilding the engine, and I'm curious on what to set my initial timing at, I run premium gas in it so that means I can advance a little more right? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392487625.496795.jpg

Kevlar

I would do it by trial and error. Start with bumping it a degree or two above stock and see if you get any pinging on WOT with the gas you are using. Find the spot where it begins to ping and then back it off one degree.

That's what I would do.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Use a dial back timing light and a Mr Gasket spring kit for either the HEI or Points distributor. Set your total mechanical advance to 36 degrees. The initial timing will be what ever that setting produces typically in the 12 to 16 degree range.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not really, just read alot over many decades and have done many stupid things and some smart ones. Almost any GM V8 engine with cast iron heads and straight valve arrangement, as opposed to hemi or staggered, runs best at 36 at about 2,800 RPM with 93 octane gas providing compression doesnt get too high.You should also limit your vacuum advance to another 10 to 12 degrees.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
That is a good starting point but for best performance you have to set for total timing as suggested above. I assume from picture you are running tripower? You did adjust the center carb idle mixture screws? You are sure you have no vacuum leaks? A full tank of gasoline, virtually no room for condensation, sits in my cars from December through April and it doesnt go bad. You are using 93 octane?