• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1965 389 tri power engine

Duff

What's the going price for a 1965 YG code 389 tri power engine that's complete and still original and runs good? The seller wants $2500, any idea what body style it came from? Thanks!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
YG is a 338 HP engine used with an automatic transmission in 1965. Not body specific Make sure the casting number is 9778789 since the code was used in later years. You need to check head numbers and carburetors also.

Duff

Thanks for the info. I'd like to buy it, clean and paint and use it as a display piece, maybe down the road install in a car. I'f all the numbers jive, I'm going to offer $1500, if it were coded for a 65 GTO, then it'd bring more $$$.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
There is no way of knowing if it was in a GTO and the intake and carburetors alone are worth more than 1k.

Duff

The last tri power I bought was a complete and original unit from a 1966 GTO, paid $850 for that one about 4 years ago. I don't think a vacuum 65 unit would bring a $1,000. I'm going to make an offer of $1500, only because it runs and has never been apart. There's another guy interested in it, so the seller may get the $2500. I was hoping to determine what body style, but at least I now know it 's from an automatic car. I'll post pictures if the deal goes thru. Thanks!