1965 Lower Rear control arm bushings

scott06

Hi - Im putting new stock replacement bushings front and rear on my car. Many sites including rock auto list MOOG 5161 as the correct bushing for both uppar and lower rear control arms. These worked on my upper just fine, but the holes in the lower arms are too big for this bushing. Bushing OD is like 1.85" and the arm has a hole like 2.15" diamter.
Has anyone seen this issue and knows what buhsing will fit? I assume some type of running change was made and the arms on my car are a litle different ?

Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Your car may be different because something was changed?
Looking in the April 1983 Pontiac Chassis and Body Parts Catalog it lists 399941 for top and bottom.

Attachments

scott06

Thanks for your reply unfortunatley Thats what Im thinking. Ive owned the car since 1990, the guy I bought if from was an auto mechanic an d had redone the suspension and brakes on it. The arms look stock but I know they had been off or replaced at some point because the bolts holding them on are not the originals. The number 0501601 or 05016C1 is stamped in the tops of the arms, which I dont think is the right part for a 65 GTO. Not sure if you could track that part number down as to what its from? or point me to where I could find it.

The lower arms had a U channel bolted into the bottom like some body was doing a poor mans boxing them in. Ive never seen this boxing anywhere assumed it was a kit or homemade from back in the day to strengthen the lower arm? At some point the differential was blown up as I can see marks where the ring gear pieces hit the cover and insdie the housing... It was originally a 3.55 open rear, someone stuffed 4.33 posi out of a 1967 in there. So I am in the process of swapping a 3.08 posi out of a donor rear end, new busings, and adding a rear sway bar. I couldve bought the sway bar with the boxed arms, but instead bought the boxed lower arm insert to weld in there, bushiungs and a spearate sway bar...

I hate to buy the arms now with bushings but somebody must have put in a different arm. Does anybody know how long a stock arm should be either end to end or bolt to bolt? Did any aftermarket places offer a different length arm to change the geometry to hook up better?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
GM part numbers do not start with a leading zero. Got no hits on that number. I have seen Ames sells something to box in the arms to stiffen them for sway bar applications. I had a 68, no bar, ordered a 442 bar , drilled holes in the arms and cut spacers to insert into the arms to stiffen them.
You can try maxperformanceinc.com to post your issue, maybe someone has a solution there.