• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1966 Bonneville 389ci part identification help

Captain592

MA
Purchased a 1966 Bonneville with a 389. On the top of the engine next to the distributor on the passenger side there is an open hole. I have no idea what goes there and was hoping someone could inform me what should be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Captain592

MA
are the distributor hold down and bolt visible?
can you post a picture?
I will post a picture when I get out of work later today. It's pretty hard to get in there and see what's in the hole. Friend says it's for pcv valve but I can't find anything online about them or pictures. When the car is running for a long time there is steam coming from the hole.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
there is supposed to be a fitting for the lower heater core hose in that area, do you see the lower heater hose connection?
Do you see the PCV attached to the vally pan in front of the carburetor?
Is this a tri-power engine?
are you sure you arent seeing oil vapors coming from the hole not steam?

Captain592

MA
there is supposed to be a fitting for the lower heater core hose in that area, do you see the lower heater hose connection?
Do you see the PCV attached to the vally pan in front of the carburetor?
Is this a tri-power engine?
are you sure you arent seeing oil vapors coming from the hole not steam?
Sorry pretty new to this forum thing and pretty new to old engines. I have a very base line knowledge of them. It is not a tri power. It could very well be oil vapors, but I don't know how to tell the difference. It's a very faint white smoke/steam coming out of the hole. I believe it could be oil vapors as the car hasn't been turned on in a few weeks and it looks wet/oily in there. The hole is a good 1.5-2 inches in diameter. Theres a red hose which I figured out is the pcv valve hose which is right under the distributor and another hose right next to the head. The hole is between the two. Can I post images from my phone on here? Don't see an image select option.

Last edited: