• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1966 lemans convertible

Dmac

I am having a power issue with the power top. the top stopped working and i am pretty sure it is an electrical issue. i am wondering if anyone has had the same issue? also read something about a pigtail from a 40 amp fuse on the firewall to the positive side of the battery?
any insight would be much appreciated

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you look in the fuse box for a blown fuse? The 40 amp fuse is in the box probably marked accessory or acc.
Do you have a test light or voltmeter to test the switch and the motor?

Dmac

Did you look in the fuse box for a blown fuse? The 40 amp fuse is in the box probably marked accessory or acc.
Do you have a test light or voltmeter to test the switch and the motor?
yes checked for a blown fuse and couldn't find any that were blown. I have a 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment on the firewall below the master cylinder
yes i have a test light and will go over everything again.

Dmac

Do you happen to know anything about a pigtail, going from the 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment to the battery?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Are you saying you have that setup? If so doesn't sound factory. Did you trace where the wire goes?

Dmac

Are you saying you have that setup? If so doesn't sound factory. Did you trace where the wire goes?
well a wire was removed during another repair, and since then the roof stopped working. I don't think it is the reason, but just want to make sure it wasn't the reason.

Dmac

well a wire was removed during another repair, and since then the roof stopped working. I don't think it is the reason, but just want to make sure it wasn't the reason.
i had electric fans in the car when i bought it, but the relays were not working, so i went back the the original style fan and shroud. all of the wiring was removed but a wire was connected to the 40 amp fuse on the firewall and was cut to remove. I am thinking it is just coincidence that the top stopped working the next week.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
when you say 40 amp fuse on the firewall, are you talking about the engine compartment side of the firewall? All factory fuses are in the fuse box.

Dmac

when you say 40 amp fuse on the firewall, are you talking about the engine compartment side of the firewall? All factory fuses are in the fuse box.
yes, there is a 40 amp relay,fuse mounted on the firewall. I have found the part in the Ames Performance site, so it is correct. somehow i think whoever put in the electric fans used that connection for something else.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
OK, things are clearer now you kept on calling it a fuse and it is a circuit breaker probably for the top. Why did they do anything to the circuit breaker when installing an electric fan?
Did you go back to whomever did this and point out the breaker is for the top?

Dmac

OK, things are clearer now you kept on calling it a fuse and it is a circuit breaker probably for the top. Why did they do anything to the circuit breaker when installing an electric fan?
Did you go back to whomever did this and point out the breaker is for the top?
it was like this when i bought the car. So is there is supposed to be a wire from the circuit breaker to the battery?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You need this positive battery cable with two wires, assuming you dont already have it. The heavy wire goes to the starter and the smaller wire goes to the circuit breaker.

Dmac

You need this positive battery cable with two wires, assuming you dont already have it. The heavy wire goes to the starter and the smaller wire goes to the circuit breaker.
so how does this connect to the power top? just through the circuit breaker? So power goes through starter to the circuit breaker and then to switch

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The power goes from the battery through the small battery cable to the circuit breaker to the switch to the power top. Nothing to do with the starter. If you intend to hold on to this car I recommend you purchase a copy of the factory service manual, hard copy or CD.

Dmac

The power goes from the battery through the small battery cable to the circuit breaker to the switch to the power top. Nothing to do with the starter. If you intend to hold on to this car I recommend you purchase a copy of the factory service manual, hard copy or CD.
Yes am planning on getting the manuals. Thanks very much for your information, it is much appreciated