1966 Pontiac Le Mans

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I assume the first picture is the broken piece? if so have you opened the interior door panel to see if there is a stud on the underside of that metal with a nut on the inside?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You do see in the first picture a rounded area that appears to be the head of a stud attached to the trim piece? Do you have a replacement piece to compare the original to in order to confirm whether it uses a stud?

Nighthawk

New Jersey
window trim

I got my arm up into the door where the trim is being held up and there is a stud or screw holding the molding however there seems no way to get to the head of that stud/screw without removing the triangle window and the track for the door window. Don't want to do all these extra steps for nothing.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Usually the window trim is held in by around 4 flat head screws, many times they cannot be accessed with the window in the door unfortunately. Sometimes I have had luck cutting down a Bit and using it along with a small wrench to remove them. But not always.
If you post some pictures of the trim piece & retaining hardware it may help jog my memory. Also you probably have to remove the vent window with its frame to remove the front screw.
I just do not think there is an easier way to remove it. Sorry

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I got my arm up into the door where the trim is being held up and there is a stud or screw holding the molding however there seems no way to get to the head of that stud/screw without removing the triangle window and the track for the door window. Don't want to do all these extra steps for nothing.
If you got your hand in there you dont think a 1'4" drive universal joint will give you access to the nut?

Nighthawk

New Jersey
window trim

Thank you for the info. There is no nut it is more like the end of a screw. After visiting this multiple times I feel there's no other way to remove the molding without removing the vent window and the window tracks. I'll let you know how it goes and send pictures.

Nighthawk

New Jersey
It's official, there is no way to get the molding off without removing the vent window and the window with the tracks. I cannot get the camera in there to take a picture but it's a screw holding onto the molding. Weird how there is only one screw but I think the others were replaced with glue! That's how they kept the molding on the door!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.