1967 400 Firebird no compression 2 cylinders

Tm67bird

Reaction score
I pulled the head off to fix an exhaust leak. I could not get 54 year old bolts out due to rust. Prior to this, it was getting hard to start and would pop through the carb. I put the head back on and now I have 2 cylinders with no compression. The middle 2 cylinders near the intake crossover. I think I put the wrong intake gasket on because because I had to pull the gasket off and put on what appears to be the correct one. There’s no water mixing with the oil and I have spark to all plugs from the distributor. Did I burn the exhaust valves. ?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Could be warped head or valves.

Tm67bird

Reaction score
Thanks, can you take the compression check with all plugs out? I put them all in except for the cylinder I was testing and 1 of the cylinders now had 80 of pressure and the other still had zero ?

Classics Fan

Reaction score
A compression test is best done on a warm engine. All plugs are removed. Install the compression gauge and crank the engine over for at least 3 revolutions or until you see the gauge needle stop advancing.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Compression test is supposed to be done with all plugs removed and throttle held wide open.