• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1967 GTO 400 CID performance differences

dtox

Hi,

can someone answer my question? Is the 400 CDI block at the 67 GTO in the three performance stages identical and the performance differences arise only by the intake and carburetor? Or are there other components responsible?

Regards
Daniel

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I am assuming you mean the 255 HP engine which used lower performance heads and camshaft then the 335 HP engine. The 360 HP used a different cam than the 335 HP. All three had different distributors.

dtox

Hi melsg5,

exactly, thank you! Would it be better to change the engine/buy another car with the 335hp engine or it is meaningful to change the parts?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You havent stated what you have or how you determined what it is.
Can you provide some details?

dtox

Sorry. I have to decide between a 255hp GTO in good shape with some little things to fix or a 335hp GTO which i would prefer because of the engine but much more to do. Of course there is also a gap of 10k between the two cars.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes, I unfortunately had a 1968 GTO with the 265 HP engine. At the time my father was shopping for a new car and you can imagine how excited I was that the GTO was cheaper than the Oldsmobile Cutlass which was the other contender. The damn salesman convinced my father that getting the 2bbl low compression engine that ran on regular gas was the way to go, it was a no cost option. That car was a dog, between the low power and a 2.78:1 rear ratio it was incredibly slow. Unless you are considering to buy the 255 HP GTO for it's "collectiblity", move on to the much more common 335 HP version.

dtox

Thanks for your support. Helps to choose the right one. I will post some pictures when i bought the car.