1968 Bonneville Exhaust

MrLonely

So I still have stock exhaust on my car and I'm looking into headers to replace the manifolds, as well as covert to dual exhaust setup. However, I've searched for quite some time now and I can't seem to find anyone who sells headers specifically for the '68 Bonneville. I have found plenty for the Firebird and GTO. If someone could point me towards some that would work for the Bonneville that would be most appreciated. I've already checked Butler Performance, Hedman, and Summit Racing. However I'm not sure if they would bolt on the same.

Thanks in advance!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I do not believe anybody makes long tube headers for your car. The best you can do is cast iron performance manifolds and exhaust from the link below.

MrLonely

I see, I did however find some Dougs long tube headers specifically that fit the Bonneville but they are out of my price range and would like Hedman if possible.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Interesting, didnt think they still made them. You have already found the usual sources so sounds like Doug's is the only place to get them. Summit Racing shows only Dougs.

MrLonely

I have a column shifter. I found some Hedman headers with the same bends as the Doug's headers. I called to make sure the pictures were accurate. I'm going to try those and see if they fit.

MrLonely

Yes, I'm aware that they say floor shift only. But I figured if that is the case, then the Doug's headers would also not fit. I'll just send them back if they don't fit. Otherwise I'll have to go with shorty headers.

MrLonely

I have a 1968 as well, please let me know what happens, keep us informed of your progress.

Rich
The first pair of hedman headers i could tell by looking weren't going to work. The dougs headers will definitely work though. However, they are not easy bolt on. The driver's side was the hardest to do. I had to unbolt the power steering gear and unbolted the starter to have more room. Getting the stock manifold off wasn't too bad, just have to be creative and get into tight spaces. But when you put the new header on the driver side, don't bolt it all the way tight. The reason is because of the power steering gear. I took it out through the bottom but I had to install it from above. Having the extra space by being able to move the header some is the only way to get it in. Also you need to put the pitman arm back on before tightening the header as well.

The passenger side wasn't nearly as bad but to get the stock manifold off you need to unbolt the oil filter housing. So i suggest you have a new gasket ahead of time to put on. now when i first tried putting the new header on I had clearance issues with the frame where the engine mounts are attached. However, I jacked the engine up and it gave the clearance needed to push the header past the frame. once you let the engine down there are no clearance issues. Put an issue i had once i jacked the engine up was getting a bolt started on the header to hold it in place. The transmission lines hit against the top of the header. So I had unbolt the lines at the case and routed them through the header but that was a mistake because once the engine is let down it hits again. So I suggest leaving the lines attached to the trans and just try your best to get the headers started because once the engine is down you should have clearance. My lines were a stripped and bent up anyway so I am replacing them. But save yourself the trouble and don't touch them haha

Let me know if you have any questions. I did notice that once installed, the collectors of the headers are against the floor fan. What hits is the bolt hole but it shouldn't be an issue. I didn't have to disconnect the shift linkage, so you can leave that be. Hope this helps!!