1968 Catalina Convertible

ymurphy

Hello all. I am new here. Found site by google search. Looks like a great place. My name is Tom. I have a 1968 mustang as well as a 1961 ford f100 unibody. Both are projects I been working on. I found a guy that has a 1968 Catalina convertible for sale. He got it on a trade and is a complete car except for the side trim. It has been sitting in a garage since 1988. Motor is stuck from sitting. He has transmission fluid and liquid wrench in the cylinders hoping to free them up but he has a restoration shop and has to many projects to keep it. Power top works but needs a new top as expected. Floors are solid as is the trunk floor.Interior needs redone but carpet looks good. Has some rot in rear quarters but comes with new skins. Also comes with an extra good chrome front bumper.back bumper needs straightened or a new one. Don't see them online so I assume they don't make them. He is asking $2500 but he told me that is negotiable. Having never fooled with these cars before is this a good price?

ymurphy

I think its a good price. Just not knowing if the engine is going to free up and run bothers me. He did text me tonight and said open to offers cause he needs to make room for customers cars and open to trades also.

ymurphy

Also doesn't look like alot of aftermarket parts for these cars. Any other makes or models that interchange?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It depends on what you are looking for, unfortunately most body parts are specific to Pontiac, from the rear wheels forward the sheet metal is the same as a Pontiac Executive, Bonneville, or 2+2. But interior and trim parts are model specific. Engine wise any 56-78 Pontiac V8 will bolt in but you may have to reuse things like your engines timing cover to use the fan belt pulleys.
Suspension wise 59-70 Pontiac's were pretty unique, and not much is reproduced. Parts can be found but can be alittle difficult. I know a few FS Pontiac part sources so if you decide to buy the car we should be able to find the parts you need.

Post some pictures if you do decide to go for it.

mobileparts

Great News..........

If anyone decides to put this car back together, I have mountains of parts --- Lots of
N. O. S. Parts ---- all mechanical , sorry, no body parts....,
Always best to simply call me --- Craig 516 - 485 - 1935.......

ymurphy

I may be calling you.Looks like I may be buying it. My wife loves big old convertibles. After this I have to finish one of my projects. I am 54 and love old cars and trucks.Always have.

ymurphy

Looks like I am buying it Sunday. After he delivers it I will post up some pictures before I start stripping the paint.
One think I know for sure I will be looking for is the side trim on both sides.He doesn't have that.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
good luck with the purchase. Has the current owner got the engine to run and does the transmission appear to be good?

ymurphy

He hasnt tried anymore since pouring transmission fluid and liquid wrench in the cylinders. Ill try to free it up after I get it here.Not sure on transmission.Car ran and drove till being stored in a garage since 1988.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Congrat's on the purchase, I typo's the engine years that will bolt in without to many issues, should have been 1965 to 1978, I typed 56-78 sorry. Your trans should be a TH-400 so common and tough transmission, if you need to replace it be sure to get the BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) bolt pattern, not one with the Chevy Bolt pattern.

Looking forward to the pictures

ymurphy

Got the car home this morning.Took some pics.opened glove box and has lots of paperwork in it. Car was first sold from St Louis dealer. Have the owners manual and convertible top manual in there also. The story as far back as I know is a guy bought it in 1988 and licensed it and started to buy parts for it as you can see in the pictures, Came with new rear quarter skins and tail panel and some door panels and tail lights and misc. The guy parked it in 1989 in a garage and has sat there ever since. Thats why motor is stuck for now and one brake is stuck. Looks like he had put a different hood on it and car came with a nice front bumper which I am getting ready to go pick up. Looks like I am going to need a steering wheel also.

Attachments

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Looks like an A/C Equipped car, that combo of a convertible with A/C was no very common on Pontiac's of that era, I had a 65 2+2 so equipped and everyone thought it was handed down to me from my Rich Daddy!
Unfortunatly those Plastic GM Steering Wheels did not hold up well to age or sunlight. Some of the multicolored ones are great looking, but very expensive to restore. yours probably looked something like this one

It looks like a nice Project thanks for posting Pictures.

ymurphy

I have engine out..Checking the numbers on the block it looks to be a 71 engine. Must have been changed many years ago. I finally got the pistons out with lots of sea foam creep and a 5 pound hammer. Cylinders are rusty except for a couple. Next step is engine guy to get cleaned a bored.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.