1969 Brake Questions

waynep

Greer SC
I am in process of rebuilding my brakes on my 69 lemans. I have drum brakes on the car. After finishing I realize 3 of the 4 automatic adjustors are not working. I am trying to figure out why. On the front brakes there is a washer at the top of the brake shoes where the spring hook.The hole in the washer is oval shaped. Should this hole be oval shaped or round??? I have researched this part online and can not find any information on it.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The part you are referring to is in the factory service manual and is a guide and the hole appears to be round. I cant see that causing a problem with the self adjuster. Either look in a manual to see if you reassembled correctly or post a picture with description of whether front or rear and left or right.

waynep

Greer SC
This part is used only on the front and the spring from the self adjuster hooks to the guide. The guide is out of round which does not pull up on the self adjuster and the adjuster does not come in contact with the adjuster wheel. the rear guide is different and can be bought new from any parts suppliers. Both the front left and right guide is out of round. if it is suppose to be round i would like to replace them but I can not locate anyone who supplies them. can these be purchased new from anyone?

waynep

Greer SC
the part i am looking for is not in either of those kits.

waynep

Greer SC
I have put my brakes back together using the part in question. I will see how it goes.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.