• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1969 Grand Prix heater control panel vacuum tubes routing question - - -

69-Gp-Alex

Hello group!

My question regarding heater control vacuum tube colors and routing.
I am drawing vacuum to the water valve, (which is keeping the valve open), when the control panel shut off.
Wondering if the tube colors are in their correct locations or if the rotary switch is not blocking the correct passages.

Let me know

Thanks!
Alex

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
why would the hoses not be in their correct positions?
Did you just buy this car?
If the control panel is in the off position why are you concerned whether the valve is in the open or closed position?
With the engine running and the AC on and turned to full cold is the valve closed?

69-Gp-Alex

Hello Mel,

- "why would the hoses not be in their correct positions?" Did you just buy this car?

Going through and undoing-correcting from the previous ownership. A/C compressor pump and related is gone,
hoses and condenser core are present.

- "If the control panel is in the off position why are you concerned whether the valve is in the open or closed position?"

Having the valve closed shuts off the hot water flow to the heater core thus keeping the cabin comfortable on hot days.
I did some mountain driving this past week, outside temperature was high 80's, now compound that with full on heat due
to the water valve being open, (heater box closed and blower motor is off).

My thought is.. does the entire heating and cooling system have constant vacuum pressure with the panel off?
If so, then I need a water valve that is open at rest. When installed, the vacuum pressure holds the valve closed
until I select heat or A/C? Have not gotten this far to prove yet.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You need to purchase a copy of the 1969 factory Pontiac Service Manual.
I have a copy of the 1970 and section 1A of the manual has the vacuum line routing from the control assembly.
What is unclear to me is what did you have the controls set for when you went on the drive?
Was the temperature set for full cold and was the selector lever set for AC or BiLevel?

Attachments