• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1969 Pontiac Catalina Sending Unit

Rage2002

Im having issues finding a fuel sending unit for my 1969 Pontiac Catalina. I currently have a 1966 Impala fuel tank and sender rigged temporarily and it works without any issues. Any tips where i can find an original sending unit?

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
The pre 1971 Big Pontiac used a Canister style fuel sender, that is currently not being made. If you still have your original unit I know of a couple of places it can be rebuilt, but short of finding a NOS one at NOS prices I don't think you will find one.

Most full size Pontiac's of the 1960's actually have baffled fuel tanks, and the lever style senders will not fit in them.

Im having issues finding a fuel sending unit for my 1969 Pontiac Catalina. I currently have a 1966 Impala fuel tank and sender rigged temporarily and it works without any issues. Any tips where i can find an original sending unit?
Gm made millions by having parts interchangeable between makes / models
Do you hav a picture of it out of tank..hav some units / B bodies..?? Could happen..did your old one deteriorate ?
Havin issues also as th hi torque / low quality starters from chineezed forced labor camps couldnt turn over an old whore on her pis pot ...its original starter is lost to th ages & from looks of it I may be able to build a good one if ..big IF... I can locate enough pieced...askin 68&9 owners if they know of any & lettin them know to not trade thier delco remy beast ofa starter in for wing wangs no quality auto store imitation starter w rubber band technology
If we cant find u sending unit you can make one...or should hav said I could make you one as presumptuous of me to assume u have time / tools to mess around with that sorta undertakin
Let me know on either those thanks
Omishjon4@gmail.com

Is that a valid concept..hadnt thougt , of course I did..first one worked three whole times & second one grenaded starter drive & chewed teeth off my flex plate causing management of parts store nervose considderation of weather or not he felt like eating my junk flex plate I paid him to create...
Quality now means just good enough so that people will buy it
Eexcellent advice mon frere just not applicable in this situation a mechanic told me the original starter has numbers 1100 3 3 3 on it he said also '392 or '348 & showed me picture & case has a notch from end for lead wire from solenoid to motor as opposed to a hole drilled through th case
...they may hav all been scrapped & returninig as starter impersonators from china..appreciate response & will continue my search for a good old starter..or pieces of several..for a good ol cat
Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Nobody in your area rebuilding alternators and starters from returned cores?
Have you looked at Ames Performance?

One removed was cored as never suspected this fiasco
..should hav known better as new one noticbly lighter

Not anyone that I know of apparently a Lost art might take it up myself
Decide it best to put correct one on it as lil bit of incorrect ones goes long way for me
Seen folks do strange things
..neighbor brush painted his car & did not do drugs...so i always say
.." If its your car...do what ya want with it."
Decided I want to put starter that engineers designed for it ..had lasted 40 -50 years & only had one bad day...day it was worn out & died
Mechanic said there was a few options so not needle in haystack...but not every one has extra 1 or 2 in their garage or parts car any more ..
So search continues

Should I put .com on that name & search for them
They 're a rebuild shop ??

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Owners of 60's and 70's Pontiacs, Chevrolets and other GM divisions replace starters all the time and do not seem to have a problem finding rebuilt starters from vendors that cater to the restoration market. Again I suggest you look at www.amesperf.com

Last edited: