1970 Front Springs

Own a 1970 Lemans Sport Conv. Looking to replace the front springs. Overall the front ends sits lower, but now to the point the driver side is "leaning" a bit more.
Originally, motor was a 350, now it has a 455.
What spring should I consider with the bigger block? Worry about new springs making the car sit much higher in the front.
Was looking at Moog 5440.

Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
this isnt a Chevrolet, 350 and 455 Pontiacs use the same basic block with different bore and stroke. The only thing that ever effects left to right front spring usage is AC applications. Ames shows 4 different springs for a 70 based upon with or without AC and with automatic or manual transmission. So without knowing what you have I cannt comment on the Moog spring.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
according to the the Moog site 5440 is with AC, 5372 is without AC
they seem to use the same spring for multiple years
if it was my purchase I would go with the Ames springs they dont use the same spring for multiple years.

salemsam

Toledo
newbie here but even though the 350 400 and 455 use the same block, isn't the 455 still heavier due to the crank? I was looking at up grading to a 400 in my sport conv. and my mechanic recommend upgrading my springs

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
why would a crank that has been ground with more stroke have a sufficient difference in weight to require different springs?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.