1973 Pontiac Catalina ignition,starter,and alternation wiring problems

I’m new the forum I have a 1973 Pontiac Catalina two door that came with a 400 block and I was trying to clean up wires under the hood and I took apart the 0 gauges red wire that runs into the starter and a pink wire that I found out was ignition wire, there was another two wires that are black and red and the other is straight red and I can’t figure out to hook them up and I been looking for diagram for this car can not find them so I join here for help I hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Welcome to the forum. According to the 1971 B body wiring diagram, the large battery connection on the starter solenoid has the battery wire and a 10 gauge red wire. The R terminal on the starter solenoid has a 18 gauge yellow wire and the S terminal on the starter solenoid has a 14 gauge purple wire.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I assume you disconnected the wires from the starter solenoid, correct?

Not from there. I disconnected the wires that was on top of the motor, it was suppose to be a junction for the car but it had the starter wire,the alternator wire,the ignition switch wire, and two more I can not find out. One is red and the other is red with a black stripe.

1973 Pontiac Catalina alternator,starter,ignition and ignition coil wiring help

These are the photos of my 1973 Pontiac Catalina wiring that I’m trying to wiring back up the right way. The starter wire is the red one, the pink and black is ignition , the red with black stripe idk and the red one idk also i been looking for wiring diagram to this car to get back the right way but couldn’t find nothing.

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the terminal strip in picture 3 is not a factory part. Did you disconnect the wires from the terminal strip?
what is under the terminal strip, more wires, if so do you know where they go?
you have no recollection of how all those wires were connected to the terminal strip?
did you put the yellow label on the wire that is marked starter?
judging by all the electrical tape somebody did some major rewiring, did you do this?
the ignition coil wiring isnt stock either, do you have a points type distributor, if not what do you have?

I did that myself the whole setup the ignition coil is an aftermarket the wiring I did just didn’t want the wires all connected to each other with electrical tape on it. I had a picture of it in my old phone how it was. I disconnected the two alternator wire that plug in. the thick wire that is connected to the starter was in the junction with the ignition wire and the two wires red wit the black stripe and a all black wire was all connected in the junction I just wanna connect them to start my car up

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.